Pond surface oily.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My smallish pond has suddenly got an oily dark film on the surface. My 25 year old Tench has just died and I wonder if there is any connection.

What could be causing the oily look please?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If this is a sudden problem, I would look at what happened to your Tench. Did you find a dead fish and an oily surface? The fish could have decayed and well... You mentioned smallish pond. Don't those fish grow to nearly 3 feet? How many gallons is your pond and do you have any other fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
the oil will inhibit the oxygenation process and esp in a small pond, that could be a critical factor. I'd try and skim it off or lay newspaper down and it'll stick to the paper, then pull away. Sorry for your loss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I will mention that when my small container pond got yucky (I don't know what happened) it developed an oil slick looking film on the surface -- iridescent, rainbow-y looking. No water changes would fix it. There were no mechanical parts in it whatsoever. I think it was something to do with bacteria and decaying matter messing up the water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
do you have water lillys in your pond ? i sometimes get an oily slick on my wildlife pond when the water lillys start to breakdown.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will mention that when my small container pond got yucky (I don't know what happened) it developed an oil slick looking film on the surface -- iridescent, rainbow-y looking. No water changes would fix it. There were no mechanical parts in it whatsoever. I think it was something to do with bacteria and decaying matter messing up the water.
Thanks for response, I will watch it closely but I think it is down to decaying vegetation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the oil will inhibit the oxygenation process and esp in a small pond, that could be a critical factor. I'd try and skim it off or lay newspaper down and it'll stick to the paper, then pull away. Sorry for your loss.
thanks for advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If this is a sudden problem, I would look at what happened to your Tench. Did you find a dead fish and an oily surface? The fish could have decayed and well... You mentioned smallish pond. Don't those fish grow to nearly 3 feet? How many gallons is your pond and do you have any other fish?
I have a few goldfish and some Rudd that seem well enough. The large black Tench was found on the lawn about 5 foot from the pond and was barely alive, just slight movement with the gills and body curved. Now dead.No decay on fish or marks where a predator would have had a go at it. I think the pond is about 500 galls.

Ask a Question