Pond Surface Scum

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pond is 15 X 40 feet. Other than where the pumps are flowing the surface is covered with gray/green scum. In the 12 years of its existence is has never had this condition. Would appreciate suggestions about clearing it up. Thanks.
Metro Atlanta

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
you have an over abundance of DOCs in the water, feeding your particular brand of algae. Reduce the bioload, increase circulation/aeration, and it should push to the side and disappear once it's food source is lessened. Having other plants and lots of them in your pond will help keep such algaes from taking over. I'm pretty sure you're getting this due to excessive heat and the build up of DOCs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hum... So for 12 years no problem but this season, an algae explosion? What has changed? Have more fish been added or reproduced? How big are your fish today vs 12 years ago? Someone helping feed the fish and adding excessive amounts of food? Less shade? Are you missing any fish? Any changes in your filtration? Changes in water movement? Less plants now than before? Is the pond being visited by wildlife? Is there anything flowing into the pond such as yard runoff during heavy rains? Those are just a few things to consider that come to mind. You can remove the scum by taking a new toilet brush and twirling it around to snag the stuff.
By the way, welcome to the forum! We are happy to assist.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm thinking you MAY want a larger brush! :unsure:
John
John - Thanks for the reply. A very large brush with a loong handle. I may try a blanket if I can figure a way to suspend it from both sides of the pond and drag it across. After each pass take it out and rinse it and try it again. Your thoughts? Thanks.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I came across this right after I posted, but got side-tracked!
1627680364865.png

But seriously, I would try a long-handled pool skimmer, something like this.
1627680508373.png

It would depend on how well the algae holds together.
John

Ask a Question