Pond that's been neglected; has a leak somewhere

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a garden pond about 6 feet by 12 feet by 3 feet deep. I can't keep the water level up and have left it sit for the past couple years. I'd like to repair it and get it going, but I also am not sure how the filtration system (plastic barrels with different filter media) was set up, and my husband (who set it up several years ago) has passed away. I remember that he lined the dug out area with old carpeting and heavy black plastic. I'm not sure if it can be repaired, or if it needs to be replaced. I know he used a submersible sump pump to send water through the filtration system. I'm afraid to even get an estimate locally for feat they'll take me to the cleaners! Any suggestions?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi Cindy and welcome! How far down does the water drop? Do you have any pictures? Hopefully it is a small leak and easy to repair. You've definitely come to the right place.
Do you have fish or plants in it?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome cindy and do you know what type of liner and how old the liner is .You can replace the liner your self .I am 64 and did it several times in the past couple of years .Just get a snap set pool to put fish and plants in and set up a temporary filter and don't feed fish much .Use the water from your pond to fill it .Are you sue it is a leak or could it be evaporation from heat .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Cindy Lou ! Stick with us and we will do our best to walk you through this process. Once your pond is up and running again, it will be a great source of joy for you!

We'd love to see some pictures first as that will be most helpful. Then tell us - how big is your pond? Do you have fish and plants? Pictures of your filtration will be helpful also - there is bound to be someone here who will know what you are dealing with.

So sorry about your husband... it's a hard time in life, for sure.

Ask a Question