Pond tint and algae control:How effective?

Reaction score
Can anybody having used this product recommend wheteher it is really effective in reducing/eliminating string alga growth ?

I have a 3500 gallon pond exposed to south and therefore on the sun whole day. Bottom is liner + gravel. I am useing barley liquid extract and MIcrobe Lift PL bacteries. Water is clean but lots of algaes at the bottom of the pond I have to remove DAILY! This is seriously cutting on my enjoyment.

Any suggestions? Would pond dye help ? How effective ? Any specific makes?

Thanks for sharing

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i would think pond dye can aid in alge control, but i cant say exactly how much unless you go quite dark...but blue colorig reflects sun light and the black absorbs it...by virtue the blue should aid in keeping the water cooler too. where as black will absorb the heat warming the water. but neither will aid in visbility or the natural look of the pond.

Reaction score
It does work, yes. And it does make it hard to see your fish. I don't like the blue at all, as it looks really phoney. It's what they use in Vegas to make the fountains look bluer, if you catch my drift.

They do have a black one now that is truly eerie. Makes the pond look like black glass. Lots of horticulture places use it because it makes their lilies and water garden plants stand out.

Again, still makes it hard to see the fish unless they come to the very top. But it does shade the water.

Have you tried using 3% Hydrogen Peroxide on the string algae to kill it? Can you put up an arbor or a sun sail over the pond?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
blackening your water helps give the illusion of depth in your pond also. but like i said it will aid in the sun warming your wter too, so that said, it out weighs the benefits if your ponds in a full sun area.

Reaction score
I used the tint last year, and honestly, didn't like it. I don't know that it helped with algae - that went away anyway once I had more floating plants and the pond matured a bit. It did make the water REALLY dark so that it was impossible to see more than 3 feet down (my pond is six feet deep).

This year, I didn't use any of the products or gimmicks for algae. I put in a bag of barley pellets, but that's it. And guess what? The string algae came, then went, then the green water came, and now it's almost gone.

If you just leave it alone, provided you have adequate filtration and plants, the algae should clear up on its own :)

Reaction score
I’ve heard of tinting but can’t attest much to its effectiveness. Using barley straw is still more effective. And using aquatic plants which inhibits sunlight exposure will help your algae problem. I found these tips, and so much more on algae growth prevention and control in this article. Maybe you guys should check it out too and see which ones work for your ponds.

Ask a Question