Pond tint blue die

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As anybody ever used the pond tint blue dye it says it keeps pond water clear and aids protection from the sun and keeps it shaded ?. I've just bought a bottle and it wasn't cheap you only need to use a tiny amount and yes it's turned my pond a little shade of blue . Just wondering if anyone else has used it and does it actually help to reduce the alge growth ?. thanks Jackie

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes it can help slow it down but thats likde putting on a bandaid and then burning your arm purposely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes it can help slow it down but thats likde putting on a bandaid and then burning your arm purposely
Got to say I'm not that happy with it my fish look blue. But I can see how it would work as my pond is in direct sunlight all day . Just been camping for only 4 days my pond was lovely & clear came back home to find it slightly cloudy and my pond lights and tubing to my oxgen covered with a green blanket despite having lots of plants. It's taken a lot of clearing out

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am not a fan of the dye myself. Like you said - looking through blue or black water changes how everything looks.

Sunlight gets blamed for algae growth when in reality the issue is an excess of nutrients in the pond. This can be due to too many fish, too much food, organic material in the pond that's decaying, or simply a new pond that hasn't yet matured and the plants haven't gotten ahead of the algae.

Also remember that certain kinds of algae are beneficial to your pond - your entire underwater surface SHOULD be blanketed with algae. That's all part of the biological filtration in a garden pond. You just want to keep it in balance. If you have tons of string algae or green water from single cell algae, that's telling you something is up.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My ponds are in full sun, sunrise to sunset. Never have issues, but I have a ton of plants filtering the water and removing nutrients.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My ponds are in full sun, sunrise to sunset. Never have issues, but I have a ton of plants filtering the water and removing nutrients.
I have a few plants just put in 4 water lillys but I am planning to put a few more in. Just treated pond with Tetra crystal clear so just waiting a few hours to see any results

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It takes time for a pond to find balance. Putting in chemicals to get a quick result usually ends up in disaster. Lilies will shade the water and if you can get some type of floating plant- duckweed, azolla- that's good too.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It takes time for a pond to find balance. Putting in chemicals to get a quick result usually ends up in disaster. Lilies will shade the water and if you can get some type of floating plant- duckweed, azolla- that's good too.
Thank you I will pick some up from garden centre they have a few pond plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Lillies provide good shade, which is beneficial, but aren't that great at removing excess nutrients.

Floating plants are great, as mentioned. A couple more are: Water hyacinths and water lettuce.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lillies provide good shade, which is beneficial, but aren't that great at removing excess nutrients.

Floating plants are great, as mentioned. A couple more are: Water hyacinths and water lettuce.
Thank you I am writing down all the plant names I will pick some

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thank you . I am writing them all down but I live in the UK can I still get these plants ?.
I don't know. Check the local garden centers. Do an internet search. If you don't find some place locally, maybe you can order them online.

Also, there are many plants that are so-called "pond plants", but you can find them at regular plant nurseries or garden centers as just regular plants.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know. Check the local garden centers. Do an internet search. If you don't find some place locally, maybe you can order them online.

Also, there are many plants that are so-called "pond plants", but you can find them at regular plant nurseries or garden centers as just regular plants.
Thank you

Ask a Question