Pond tint?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Has anyone ever used pond tint to control algae? My understanding is that the tint interferes with photosynthesis. Thoughts?

That is correct. Anything that blocks sunlight will interfere with photosynthesis. This is exactly why you do not want to use any pond dye for the control of algae. Not only will the planktonic (floating) algae be affected but also the periphyton (attached algae) which supplies Oxygen to the water column, assimilates Ammonia and provides food for the fish.
Yea, use pond dye if you want a biochemically imbalanced pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
and some make the fish look terrible and some tints can be a little to much .I had blue arms because my neighbor added to much and her pump died and she was getting ready to go to work and could not pull it to see what was wrong .Intake was clogged ,I guess with all the dead stuff that floated free ..

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Tints are unnatural (black, blue) looking.

The only "tint" that I've seen used that is remotely "natural looking" is barley straw extract.

Again, too much of a tint and you affect your bacteria as well.

Better off ensuring that your pond parameters do the job of controlling any algae problems that you might encounter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I never add chemicals of any kind and my fish do fine. Actually I have found out over time the less you do the better off the fish are!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chemicals are best off avoided if you have fish in your pond.

Live plants will help with algae issues as will something like a shade sail to keep the pond out of full sun.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It has been all summer and only spent minutes on my pond because no time for it .It does depend on how established your pond is of course .Took a few minutes this morning to clean out over grown plants .

Attachments

• 100_8412.JPG
    100_8412.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 100_8415.JPG
    100_8415.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 182
  • 100_8404.JPG
    100_8404.JPG
    336.9 KB · Views: 191
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
My Wife loves them (Aquashade, blue green dye), I hate them; I don't see why not being able to see the fish because the water is blue is better than not being able to see them because the water is green. When she gets too naggy I relent and put in enough to satisfy her without putting in enough to make a real difference and she's happy. I figure the algae will eat the nitrates, get caught in the mechanical filters and be removed from the pond when the filters are cleaned. More plants are going in next year.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The only time I've seen tint used was in local nursing home ponds. I guess they were going for low maintenance, IDK.

Ask a Question