pond update August 13 2010

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
shows the lillie devestation perptrated by my koi.....not much for shade or cover left...but as always, crystal clear water...my koiguy filter performs exceptionally well with the same media. some thats been in use for 3 years now non stop 24/365 and still never cleaned...
[ame]
and no... i didnt decide to put gravel on the floor of pond ..the koi did ...i've just been too lazy to clean it up!!

Reaction score
Looks great, nice and clear and lots of fish...

my koiguy filter performs exceptionally well with the same media. some thats been in use for 3 years now non stop 24/365 and still never cleaned...

You don't shut it down for the winter? Do you just move it to your indoor pond?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
MikeyToo said:
That may be clearer than the stuff I drink.....

lets hope not!! but thanx... its my KOIGUY 70 gallon filter that does it.....my water looks like this all the time...i let it go green for a couple days in the spring, run my little 9 watt U.V for a week or so...clears in 3 or 4 days and a few extra days for good measure. even my string alge is short lived, 3 weeks or so. i just want to add... i pump my water into the basement pond for the winter months and back out in spring. there are so many opinions on which media to use in a filter, i use scrubby pads and latex furnace filters....people said their gonna clog and malfunction and break down and whatever.but 3 years of 24/7/365 use and they perform as well as they did at the beginning and have yet to clog breakdown or not perform. and i have yet to clean them!!

Reaction score
Hello,
The reason I ask is I have a similar sized pond with a lower waste load, but with three 55 gal. barrel filter system. The first filter is the mechanical filter w/ appx. 6" of coarse filter and rest plastic strapping, needs to be cleaned every week. The second (stuffed with plastic strapping, aka Spring Flo) is opened and flushed. The last filter(bio) is left alone. I see a slight rise in nitrates by the end of week from none to 20-25 ppm. I have 6 koi, 4 appx. 11", 1- 16", 1- 9". I do a 10% water change weekly.

So never cleaning out the filter is pretty amazing and I'd have to think at some point the nitrate level would reach a unsafe level for the fish.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
huskerfan, i do flush my filter regularly. i just dont remove and clean the media as some do....and people said my scrubby pads would clog, break down and not perform,....WRONG!!..
diggiponds...thanx, my pond is looking bare tho...look at the video from july 4th, all the lilly pads, then this one, i down probably well over a hundred pads..stupid fish!

Ask a Question