Pond using bentonite clay, with rocks

Reaction score
Country
Norway
Hi,

I want to create a pond using bentonite clay. I have read enough so that I have an idea of how to achieve it. But there is one question I can't figure out the answer to.

Is it possible to create a proper seal where bentonite meets rock? Where the bentonite only partially covers the rock, so that the top part of the rock is exposed?
Or will the water get between the rock and the bentonite, and destroy the seal?

Se pictures below.

CK1IloY.jpg

HXYpKGQ.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I don’t know the answer for sure but having created a pond years ago using a bentonite liner I would guess it would not be very easy to get a watertight seal. From what I remember though, once the bentonite gets wet and starts to form to its surroundings it would be a good fit and then maybe you could use some hydrologic cement around the top edge.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bentonite is a polymer that swells and interlocks thus creating the water Resistant seal. if your asking if you should place your rock then add the bentonite the answer is no . if your asking can you apply bentonite to a pond then add your boulders the answer is yes. but keep in mind they will settle and that could go deeper than the bentonite layer breaking the seal. but odds are you'd be fine if the layer is thick enough

Ask a Question