Pond Vac or No Pond Vac?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ok here it goes. Opinions on Pond Vacs...Beneficial or a waste of money? If a pond vac is used on a routine basis can that take the place of a complete pond clean out with water change in the spring? I saw a Pondovac 4 with good reviews but want to get some opinions on here. I never fully trust reviews online as some companies can pay a service to post positive reviews about their products....Getting opinions on here is always entertaining but honestly would like to know what people think. Before I go and spend $350 on something that isn't going to work as well as a complete water change in the spring id like to hear what people have to say...Also some opinions on here is to keep a certain amount of algae on the bottom of the pond. Will the continuous removal of algae and matter by the vac affect the ecosystem and throw off the ponds natural balance?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would love to have a pond vac. I know Robamy use one, I think it's an Oase but not sure. I had to do a complete water change this spring and it took forever for my pond to settle and balance itself out, plus now that I have fish I think it would be a huge PITA to do it again. My pond is way smaller than RobAmy's pond so I was looking at converting a wet/dry vac. I think on the forum there are directions to building your own. I'll search and see what I can come up with. I don't know how often the vacuum is used, I would think maybe a spring and fall cleaning would be sufficient.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just net the bottom, a vac would mess with the tads, snails, dragon fly babies. If they made one that did not hurt the critters I would use one

Reaction score
You have a pretty big pond and from what you've said in your other thread you get a lot of leaves and pine needles (pine cones?) in there, so if you do get a pond vac you'd want to make sure you get a pretty heavy duty one. I still think you'd be better off using a scoop net, at least for the initial cleaning up of the bulky stuff, then finish up with a pond vac.
You are going to get lots of different opinions in forums like this because there are so many different types of and sizes of ponds in different locations and climates and different filter systems. Things that might work and apply to a small 200 gal preformed pond with a couple little goldfish won't necessarily apply or work for a 6,000 gal pond with big koi. Since every pond is unique you have to take all the advice you get with a grain of salt (including mine) and try and figure out if and how it might apply to your pond.
Just remember, it's not a good idea to flush all those grains of salt out into the forest. ;)

Last edited:

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Since 2005 I have used a ‘Oase Pondovac 2’ pond vacuum. I have been very happy with it. I have a skimmer that collects a lot of the leaves that get past the net and fall into the pond, so I only need to use the pond vacuum in the Spring and in the Fall. Sometimes I get ambitious and will use it in the Summer if I notice a lot of gunk on the bottom of the pond. I have a 1,000 gallon pond which no longer has stones on the bottom, so vacuuming is very easy. I have used the pond vacuum when there were stones (9 years), but it is a little bit of a pain, even though it worked fine. I have never completely drained the pond to clean it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Only thing with them is what happens to baby fish and snails .I prefer to net takes a few minutes and cheaper .

Reaction score
Thanks Mucky! That's the link I was looking for earlier, I remember hearing about it.
Yes my old friend (and adversary) Waterbug had some good information about ponds to impart. Alas :( it is a shame that he, like so many others, was just too high strung and sensitive for internet forums.
I hope he is happy and healthy wherever he is. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've thought about a pond vac too, but have managed nicely with the fine mesh pool net ( bag type) and long handle. I do have a skimmer and a fine mesh net I put over the pond for Fall / Winter.

I think you'll have plenty of carpet algae on the sides of your pond and the vac won't disturb carpet algae on the pond's bottom. The cost of the pond vac would pay for itself, when you think about hiring someone to clean your pond. I agree with Mucky, I'd net out larger debris, prior to vacuuming.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Ask a Question