Pond visitors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I thought I would post here too, as well as on my update.

The pond has water in it and the waterfall is going. It's still kind of barren looking, with it being too cold for plants - but the water makes a cheery sound.

This morning there were visitors. About 15 male robins, along with titmice, doves, finches, and others dropped by for a drink and a bath. It was about 34 degrees and some of them were even hopping on the flat rocks that get major oversplash from the waterfall. I was trying to take pictures through the window, so they didn't turn out very well.

Here is a shot of four of the visitors. It was so fun to see!

Attachments

• IMG_3820.JPG
    IMG_3820.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 247
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Can be tricky on a cold freezing morning for critters to find water, a pond or stream can be the only resort

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I also have a pretty large flat rock for my waterfall and I have lots of birds come to get water from the waterfall.... Since we have bird feeders makes sense..... But they stand on the side but I have a pair of Mourning Doves that will step out into the flow and take a bath..... Everytime I see them I run to get my phone to video them get back and they are gone.... Jimmy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@jimmy -- went I went out today to work on my waterfall issue, I noticed that the Bachelor Party of Robins got a little careless. Bird poo all over the place. I think I was mistaken when I assumed they were bathing. The pond may be just a big communal bird toilet! :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
@jimmy -- went I went out today to work on my waterfall issue, I noticed that the Bachelor Party of Robins got a little careless. Bird poo all over the place. I think I was mistaken when I assumed they were bathing. The pond may be just a big communal bird toilet! :eek:
Back years ago I fancied my self being a Bass fisherman and yes I had the bass boat that would run 60 mph.... But whenever I saw a flock of ducks on the water I would turn my boat to run through them to make them fly.... But the thing I noticed is that every bird would lighten their load when they took off.... It's what birds do they lighten takeoff weight when they fly.... Like it or not it's Mother Nature at work.... And when birds leave your pond a little deposit on your pond....And for those of you that want to bust me out on running through the ducks .... That was during misspent youth..... Lol Jimmy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
When birds are nesting, its a domestic routine for them to remove litter from their nest, and drop it off at the nearest watering hole. You can expect some odd things to be deposited like, where did that egg shell come from, who did that...

Ask a Question