Pond vs. aquarium water...

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
So a few days ago I went and had my pond water tested at my LFS. The guy tested it and said the quality of it was as good as water in an aquarium. That got me scratching my head a little as I thought that the test strips tested the same things: ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, etc.

And shouldn't good pond water just be the same as good aquarium water, i.e. 0 ammonia and nitrites and some nitrates, etc. And shouldn't everyone's pond water be giving those readings? Or is pond water really "dirtier" than aquarium water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think aquarists try to keep their pH down in the 7's. Something you won't normally do in a pond. Other than that, i agree with you. There really shouldn't be a difference chemcially. Pond water will be dirty than aquarium water from a particulate standpoint but that doesn't necessarily mean the water is bad. Large scale Koi breeders usually raise their Koi in mud ponds that often look like melted chocolate. Yet I'm sure their water is 'clean' chemically.

Craig

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my aquarium water is pond water lol, so it would be the same!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm not 100% sure but I think the biggest reason is predators. The outdoor ponds are big, often 1 acre plus. You usually won't keep hunting wildlife away. The few I have visited usually have dogs to keep the herons and egrets away. But the osprey's, hawks and eagles can be a problem for the younger fish they are growing out. The fish have no problem with the muddy water. I think the muddy water keeps the natural losses down. When you've hand selected 20-30 4-6" fish to go into a 1 acre pond that will be worth 1000.00 to 3000.00 each when they come out the next year at 24-30" you want 20-30 to come out!

Craig

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
So a few days ago I went and had my pond water tested at my LFS. The guy tested it and said the quality of it was as good as water in an aquarium. That got me scratching my head a little as I thought that the test strips tested the same things: ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, etc.

And shouldn't good pond water just be the same as good aquarium water, i.e. 0 ammonia and nitrites and some nitrates, etc. And shouldn't everyone's pond water be giving those readings? Or is pond water really "dirtier" than aquarium water?
John, did he give you any actual readings? Like Ph 7.8, ammonia 0.25, or whatever? If not, I wouldn't put much stock in his testing. Good, fine and OK are NOT test results!!
John

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Just kind of reiterating what Craig wrote.

I think aquarium water is kept in the lower 7 pH range depending on the aquatic life. Reef/coral tanks can have a pH in the 8.0~9.0 pH range.

I have been doing quite a bit of research into aquaponics. Aquaponics is essentially a pond in a greenhouse where the water is pumped to a hydroponic type garden. For best plant yield and growth I have read about on aquaponic farms, a pH of 6.0~7.0 is used. For fish, a pH of 7.0~7.5 is used.

I bet the particulate level, or TDS meter value, is also likely higher in ponds rather than in aquarium tanks.

Yeah, mud bottom koi ponds are very common in Japan, where the serious koi enthusiasts are found with koi up to almost 3 feet long. I am told the genetics of koi have been retarded a bit in the states here, due to influence of the KHV virus, so koi here will likely not get up to 3 feet long. The koi also eat some of the mud as their normal diet. Supposedly, koi in mud bottom ponds have better color. /shrug

Ask a Question