Pond Water...Clear but Tea-Colored

Reaction score
I had to reline my pond a few weeks ago. Put in new water and it was clear as a bell and pH was great.

Went on vacation and came back and the water was still clear, but tea-colored. There are no leaves in the pond, but we have had some rain and wind. It doesn't appear dirty or cloudy...just tinted an amber color.

The fish don't seem to mind. Any solutions or should I just let it be?

Craig:goldfish:

Reaction score
My pond is the same way. I read somewhere, but don't remember where, that it isn't harmful. Maybe had something to do with well water, but I'm on city water.

I don't mine the tint, figure that it helps block the suns rays.

Reaction score
I am no expert on that problem , but I have read that usually that kind of color in a pond is caused by tannins from leaves and such, but since you said you didnt have leaves in it maybe something else is releasing tannins. They say that using activated carbon can help clear it up.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with tea colored water, however, if it bothers you here is my reccommendation. Keep leaves out by daily maintenance and add an activated carbon filter. Just remember, that it too requires maintenance and added cost but it will make the water clear. My 80 gallon tank required $36.00 of activated carbon for it's filter and that will need to be changed every 6 months or so. How much water are we talking about in a pond?

Reaction score
I read that the tea color isn't always caused by leaves. I don't have any leaves in my pond, but still have the tea color. If I find the article I'll post what else causes it.

Reaction score
If you have plants, potting soil will turn your water brown. You'll want to change your plant substrate.

Reaction score
My water was crystal clear up until a couple of days ago. Turns out that the koi removed all the pea gravel from the pots and exposed the potting soil, and began to dig around in the roots for food items. The stirred mud made the water tea-brown tinted.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Pea gravel alone should be sufficient. The plants will get their nutrition from the water with Koi in the pond.

Reaction score
The pea rock along will work just fine. The rock is just to hold the plants down. I did this with several of my plants. My cattails have no dirt, just huge globs of roots.

Ask a Question