Pond water cloudy(green) in the morning, better and better over the day and super clear after 5pm

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

The water of my pond gets cloudy in the morning, it is not very bad as I can still see the bottom (~4.5 feet deep) but not very clear. The it gets better and better during the day and becomes super clear after around 5pm, no difference than when I started the pond with fresh tap water. Then the next morning it gets cloudy again.

I am wondering why it gets cloudy in the morning.

Here is some info. about my pond:
~1500gal
I have no filter but I have a large raised bog built next to it (~70% of the area of my pond). There are about 20 plants in the bog.
I have 2 aerators running 24/7
I have ~20 small fishes ~3-4 inches.
I have 10 large Amazon sword (1.5feet tall) in the pond and ~ half of the pond is covered by Hyacinth. There are also some hornwort in the pond.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
When do you feed your fish? And what plants are around the pond? My first thought is if you are feeding the fish late in the day, excess food can cloud water. I’ve had that happen when hubby over feeds my aquarium. My second thought is that there might be plants releasing pollen at night.
You say you have no filter, but you have a bog. Do you have a pump? If so, you might look for a diy prefilter for the pump, and if not, then your bog isn’t doing it’s job. Get a pump, even if it’s a little one, and set up a diy filter. Whatever is causing this issue, can be solved 80% of the time with a filter. Ideally, you want the volume of the pond to go through your filter 1 1/2-2x per hour, slower for big ponds with bog filters, but in your case, I’d recommend a 2000+gph to 3000 gph pumpto power the water to the bottom of the bog, ideally with a pre filter to remove large particles from the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you cannot get a big pump like that at this time, a smaller one is tolerable, just keep in mind it has to clean the water. Have a large plastic laundry basket with the holes, fill it with quilt batting ( pure polyester) and then set it where the water will all go back into the pond. Set the pump so the water gets pumped out into the batting thus large particles such as algae, food waste, pollen, etc are trapped to be rinsed off into your lawn away from the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies!

Yes I do have a pump ~ 2200gph pumping water from bottom of pond to far side of the bog. The water comes out of a distribution pipe array to the bottom of the bog, go through the gravels then flow back to pond through a water fall.

I feed my fishes twice a day, first one around 8am and the other one around 7pm. I do not feed them a lot. Normally all the food is gone within 20-30 seconds.

I had the same feeling that some plants are releasing pollen at night.
In the bog I have:
2 Japanese iris
6 Canna
2 Taro
6 Variegated Sweet Flag
1 giant leather fern
2 Dwarf Papyrus
2 Cyperus Alternifolius Umbrella Palm
3 Red Stem Thalia
and lots of Parrot's Feather/Pennywort/Creeping Jenny/Rain Lily all over the place

In the pond I have:
Many floating Hyacinth
10 Amazon Sword
some hornwort

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies!

Yes I do have a pump ~ 2200gph pumping water from bottom of pond to far side of the bog. The water comes out of a distribution pipe array to the bottom of the bog, go through the gravels then flow back to pond through a water fall.

I feed my fishes twice a day, first one around 8am and the other one around 7pm. I do not feed them a lot. Normally all the food is gone within 20-30 seconds.

I had the same feeling that some plants are releasing pollen at night.
In the bog I have:
2 Japanese iris
6 Canna
2 Taro
6 Variegated Sweet Flag
1 giant leather fern
2 Dwarf Papyrus
2 Cyperus Alternifolius Umbrella Palm
3 Red Stem Thalia
and lots of Parrot's Feather/Pennywort/Creeping Jenny/Rain Lily all over the place

In the pond I have:
Many floating Hyacinth
10 Amazon Sword
some hornwort
it seems as if you are feeding a reasonable amount, you have a very large bog, so I would have to go with the pollen theory. especially for all the plants you have in the bog + ones around the pond.

Ask a Question