Pond water hyacinths

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive read alot of post about browning on water hyacinths however ive not heard if you should remove the brown bulbs/leaves on them? Ive got mine in mircle grow hoping to green them back up but wasnt sure if i should remove the ones that dont look good id apprecate any adive in what i should do or if i just leave them alone. Thanks for any advice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Tracie ! In my experience, once hyacinths turn brown they are too far gone to save. If they are yellow, they can usually be greened up again. If just parts of the plant are brown, then yes, you can remove the brown parts.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome @Tracie ! In my experience, once hyacinths turn brown they are too far gone to save. If they are yellow, they can usually be greened up again. If just parts of the plant are brown, then yes, you can remove the brown parts.
Theres still green some yellow & some brown spots so i wasnt sure if i just remove the ones that dont look good but your saying i can remove the bad ones and theyll be fine? Ive had them in mircle grow water the last 3 days now well the yellow green back up? First summer doing this its alot harder then i thought it be luckly my lettus is doing good just not the hyacinths pretty bummed out on them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They may green up - a lot depends on how far gone they are. Like I said, once mine have gone to brown they've been pretty much a lost cause. They can be picky - some years mine do great, other years they're terrible.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They may green up - a lot depends on how far gone they are. Like I said, once mine have gone to brown they've been pretty much a lost cause. They can be picky - some years mine do great, other years they're terrible.
Ok thank you :) I hope they do but if not i'll just try again lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Early this spring I bought four little hyacinth and four little water cabbage......in the beginning the hyacinth multiplied like crazy, then the water cabbage kicked in and with their broad leaves overshadowed the hyacinth and began their decline.....plus the fact when I would pick up a sickly hyacinth it would have holes in the flotation bulbs.....Koi will nibble on hyacinth but will not touch water cabbage......

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-8-24_16-22-38.gif
@Tracie

Ask a Question