pond water is disappearing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi everyone I know I keep asking all sorts of questions but you guys really have helped me understand so much since I joined this site.. I have another question I know in the summer time the pond water disapates but what about now in the winter time. My pond water is about 4" low and all of a sudden the water seems to be getting dirty, not just from the algae its not clear like it has been . Is this normal or should I be concerned about it.?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It hasn't rained much and we haven't had much snow. The pond isn't frozen either. It had a little ice this past weekend but not frozen. I guess you would say cloudy almost to me looks a little muddy. But I guess kind of the same thing?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Could you have a pond liner part that shifted from freezing temps.I had a waterfall liner that did that 3 years ago .The liner shifted so much that it was allowing water to run around and over it by the water fall .Also ice can divert water even faster

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not to sure. But I don't have the waterfall running now. I only have the aerators running with a pond de icer I have the pond breather in the pond but I don't think its working properly. But the fish hover around it and I didn't want to remove it to check it but since I have the aerator in and its not been that cold I thought I would just leave it until spring and I put the pumps back in.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
As Sissy said, check liner edges for shifting or slipping - it may appear the water is four inches low but there may be an edge, especially a folded edge or an edge along a stream or waterfall, that has sunk below the waterline. These edges are often covered, so the leak is hidden from view. I don't often give advice, but I'm speaking from my own personal experience with seeping leaks. I've had a couple in our stream and know they can be a real pain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can try to take a look. It snowed a little last night a couple of inches so its hard to see around the edges. And since its cold out should I add water? It is suppose to warm up later in the week.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Has this water loss been sudden or has it been a gradual thing over a period of time? Evaporation can actually be greater at times during winter months due to the very low humidity levels of the atmosphere and windier conditions.

You water is likely getting cloudy because you do not have any active filtration. If the fish are still active they are creating waste and if temperatures are not that low other organisms in the pond are also active and also creating organic waste. If it was me, I would re-connect the pumps and filtration and return the pond to normal operation. You can always unplug the pumps if it becomes necessary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's been a gradual loss its just more noticeable today. It was a little low last week and I check it every day. It just seems to be more lower but I guess we had had a whole lot of rain and not much snow here this winter either. Temperatures have been up and down the whole season. By friday here its suppose to be in the 50's thats unusual for this time of year. This past Saturday temperature was 6 when I woke up in the morning. And the fish are active on the warmer days. Over the weekend they hid in there house. But today I saw a few of them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know my leak confused me when it got colder out it did not loose as much water but as soon as it got warmer I lost more water .It turned out to be a rock by the waterfall pond shifting during freeze and thaw .Then this past fall it was caused by frogs who had nested by the waterfall pond and pushed the liner down between the rocks .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'll check it out. Should i add water since its so cold out? Does adding such cold water shock the fish? I know its cold outside anyway but i would think the water would be colder than whats in the pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'll check it out. Should i add water since its so cold out? Does adding such cold water shock the fish? I know its cold outside anyway but i would think the water would be colder than whats in the pond.

Really shouldn't affect the overall water temperature that much. Source water temperature and pond water temperature are usually different in the Summer also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
One other question when I add the water I usually also add API pond chlorine and heavy metal nuetralizer, since I don't have any pumps running, do I need to add a pump to circulate it in the water? Or add it while filling and that will be good?

Ask a Question