Pond water is very green! Tips?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone, first time posting, sorry if I'm doing this wrong. So, my pond has been very green ever since I constructed it ( 2-3 weeks ago). I have set up a filtration system but its not doing the trick. Here's the picture of the filtration, I have the water pump through large box filled with sand, rocks, and aquatic plants. Throughout the weeks, water has remained unchanged, if not, maybe even greener. Any tips would be appreciated, thanks!
56777613424f64a9a4b5dbb7818ca99f.jpg
d7d0ae6c380af987cf45a9704ac6a093.jpg
42526183b3299ece32ac96c1c7ee3a2a.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @archknyght !

Green water in a new pond is very normal. Your pond is working to find it's balance and nature is doing it's part to help. Don't think of that green water (which is suspended algae) as a problem - think of it as a clue. It's telling you something is going on with your pond. Maybe it's something you can address; maybe it just requires you to be patient and give nature a chance.

I don't fully understand your filtration system. Is this an up flow planted bog filter? Or does the water run over the top of the filter? Can you explain a big about how you constructed it and the purpose for each element? I'm trying to figure out what kind of plant that is in your photos. Do you have just one type of plant or are there others?

Do you have fish in this pond? If so, what kind, how many and how big? How many gallons is it? Do you have added aeration in the form of a bubbler or waterfall? Any additional information would be helpful and pictures of your whole pond would also help.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum! It can take weeks for a pond to cycle, ie bacteria to grow, plants to grow and take excess nutrients out of the pond.

^^^^^^^^^^ agree with above good questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome @archknyght !

Green water in a new pond is very normal. Your pond is working to find it's balance and nature is doing it's part to help. Don't think of that green water (which is suspended algae) as a problem - think of it as a clue. It's telling you something is going on with your pond. Maybe it's something you can address; maybe it just requires you to be patient and give nature a chance.

I don't fully understand your filtration system. Is this an up flow planted bog filter? Or does the water run over the top of the filter? Can you explain a big about how you constructed it and the purpose for each element? I'm trying to figure out what kind of plant that is in your photos. Do you have just one type of plant or are there others?

Do you have fish in this pond? If so, what kind, how many and how big? How many gallons is it? Do you have added aeration in the form of a bubbler or waterfall? Any additional information would be helpful and pictures of your whole pond would also help.
Welcome @archknyght !

Here is a picture of the water flow, I think it’s a bog filter. Also, a small waterfall at end of filtration.
9B72CDC1-F963-4F87-ADB2-7013FB078890.jpeg

Not completely sure how many gallons, but it’s a 3ft width x 2ft height x 12ft length pond about 3/4 or 4/5 filled.
Not sure the names of the plants, but there’s 5 different species I think.
And yes, there are fish. Small goldfish, about 15ish of them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I must be denser than I thought. I am more unclear than I was before I saw this! Is this a pond or an aquaponics system?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Haha yeah, it’s a stretch to call this pond! Definitely closer to a aquaponics now that I looked it up

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So why are you concerned about green water? Is your goal growing plants or fish or what's the purpose of the system?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome!
You've got a lot going on there.
I wouldn't worry about the green water, it will come and go.
String algae could become a problem with clogging pumps if you have more decaying organic material than what your plants can process.
My focus would be on what the water quality is of the water that you use to replace evaporation/plant transpiration.
Try to keep your water PH close to 7 so your plants can uptake the nutrients more easily.
I've had an aquaponics system running for a number of years, so my advice is to periodically test your water for ammonia, nitrate, phosphate, PH and temperature. Your plants will tell you via fading/discolored leaves if you're lacking any minerals.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is a picture of the water flow, I think it’s a bog filter. Also, a small waterfall at end of filtration.View attachment 120584
Not completely sure how many gallons, but it’s a 3ft width x 2ft height x 12ft length pond about 3/4 or 4/5 filled.
Not sure the names of the plants, but there’s 5 different species I think.
And yes, there are fish. Small goldfish, about 15ish of them
Pretty wild setup!! Nice job

Ask a Question