Pond water level and rain

Reaction score
Hi all,

I live in the UK and we're currently getting tons of rain. I've got a pond with a gravity filter and my question is; if it rains do I need to worry about the water level getting up to the filter output? I always try to clear it as soon as possible but if I leave it for a bit could it actually cause something in my setup to break? I've got a filter, pump and UV so usual basic setup.

What do you all do to stop the rain messing with your levels?

Thanks! :)

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Create a low spot around the top of your pond so if the water gets to that level, it will just flow out or put in a over flow tube. I have a overflow tube in my pond. It may take a while to get it back to normal pool level, but it beats from having to go out there and open up the drain valve.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
FrogHiThere.gif
sad muso

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh guess it is bad every where ,rain no rain ,high winds ,lightening and thunder and I guess I can't complain to much .Hard when you get really heavy rains .May have to pump some water out of the pond if it keeps raining like that sad muso

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I do the same thing as Ryan, have a low spot in my pond wall that will not allow the water to get past a certain point. Never have to worry about the pond getting too high.

Reaction score
My skimmer has a spot to add an overflow pipe but what I have found is that just lie a bathtub when it gets to the top it runs out. It has never caused a problem with water getting behind the liner but if it did I would simply put a drain tube in the skimmer box.

Ask a Question