Pond went from green to clear.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So my patio pond turned a dark green a few weeks ago and pretty much stayed like that until today. I came home from work and it was near crystal clear. It's been pretty hot,rainy and humid lately but I don't think any of these contributed to its newfound clarity. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If it's a fairly new pond, then nothing to worry about! The "green" stage is what freaks people out, but we tell them to be patient as it will clear up -- just as yours did. As long as your fish are doing OK, you're in great shape -- enjoy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So my patio pond turned a dark green a few weeks ago and pretty much stayed like that until today. I came home from work and it was near crystal clear. It's been pretty hot,rainy and humid lately but I don't think any of these contributed to its newfound clarity. Is this something I should be concerned about?
I wish I would have that "problem"

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks for the replies everyone :) anyway I was only worried because i thought that spontaneous water clarity would kill
My fish( since I've read that algae dying off leads to increased ammonia)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If a large amount of planktonic algae does indeed die off en masse, what occurs is a depletion of Oxygen caused by bacterial action on the dead algae. Very little Ammonia is formed in this process.
In your instance, however, your pond apparently reached what Limnologists term the Clear Water Phase (CWP). This occurs during the establishment or re-establishment of the Aquatic Food Chain at the point where the zooplankton numbers have increased enough to consume the algae faster than it can multiply. Since the algae is not subjected to bacterial action, Oxygen is not affected.

Ask a Question