Pond Wisdom

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
This makes me think of my neighbor's yard, years ago. When he sold his house and gorgeous gardens, he told the buyer - "the gardens are great, there's no work!"
What he meant was no lawn mowing. To him, the seasonal chores of weeding, fertilizing, pruning and mulching were NOT work. Mowing a lawn once a week in the summer would be work.
I think the pond idea is similar. It depends on how you look at it. A small pond will probably be less forgiving in terms of water chemistry. Get a few too many fish or feed a little too much and things could get out of hand fast. A larger pond is more forgiving. When I have to crawl around in the pond to pull out overgrown plants, though, my medium sized pond is just right. If it were any bigger, I'd be really sore from bending over that long.
Having said that, I DO love that my pond isn't smaller and I wish I'd been able to make it bigger!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Bigger is indeed easier. But can also be more "work" if, as @bagsmom said you consider puttering around the pond work!

And my piece of wisdom would be "less is more" when it comes to tinkering with your pond. Get it established and let nature do the rest.

Reaction score
I don't know this is neighbors very small pond and the only maintenance is feeding the fish. Mine is much larger and although not a lot of work it is work.
lawson pond 4.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Plan it out! I started out with a pool, I’m now planning a real full pond, working on the logistics of it in relation to ease of access, pets, critters, electrical, etc. lots of revision has gone into the plan. And I’m plotting expansion already! I already know it won’t be as big as I want, but smaller may work out, with more bog, less water. And I can always add on later with a stream!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I suspect the vast majority of people that have ponds want them. If they didn't, it'd be relatively easy to drain and fill them with dirt.
Our pond is therapy for us, it was a swimming pool that seldom got used, but when we converted the pool to a pond our summer-time focus is out there. There is a degree of work involved, but being in my upper 70's the "work" is more fun than jogging in the road or on a treadmill in a sweat-infested gym.... (no offense intended to any one who does those things.......:))
After an hour or two of light exercise raking, cleaning the skimmer filter, talking to the fish, and pulling the errant plant from the bog, the sweet balance of the energy expended in maintenance and the pure pleasure of sitting out there in the "Inn" with a coffee or "adult beverage" is very satisfying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I suspect the vast majority of people that have ponds want them. If they didn't, it'd be relatively easy to drain and fill them with dirt.
Our pond is therapy for us, it was a swimming pool that seldom got used, but when we converted the pool to a pond our summer-time focus is out there. There is a degree of work involved, but being in my upper 70's the "work" is more fun than jogging in the road or on a treadmill in a sweat-infested gym.... (no offense intended to any one who does those things.......:))
After an hour or two of light exercise raking, cleaning the skimmer filter, talking to the fish, and pulling the errant plant from the bog, the sweet balance of the energy expended in maintenance and the pure pleasure of sitting out there in the "Inn" with a coffee or "adult beverage" is very satisfying.
It’s my zen as well! Gyms are not my thing either, I’d rather stay in shape growing plants, tending fish, and playing with my cats and dogs. A nice walk gathering stones to edge a pond is a million times more fun than walking a set distance for health reasons! And it’s healthy for the mind, not just the brain!

Ask a Question