Pond with no pump, no filter, no fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I'm thinking of installing a 10x10 ft tub style pond(not liners) without any technology whatsoever and no fish. Is that possible? I just want a quiet pond with plants around it. I might put some big boulders that pop out of the water too. Kind of like a Japanese pond.
I will apply netting so debris won't go in, I will use mosquito dunks, and the pond will be in deep shade with minimal sunlight. Is this kind of pond possible?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It is possble, you can do any type of pond you want :) Just think it through with a bit more questions - how do you plan to hold the water? With minimal sunlight, you wont have much choice in plants (my last pond was in deep shade). I've had a small pond like that before. I added hornwort and it took over the pond, which helped keep the water from being stagnant. Mosquito dunk couldn't keep the mosquitoes out for me (they worked, just not 100%)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
True any thing is possible like nepen said .You can see how it works out and do a build part so we can see how it can work and if it works Would be interesting to see

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A pond need not have fish, but some level of water movement will go a long way in keeping it from becoming stagnant (and smelly) as Nepen mentioned.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Your question sorta describes my pond after I had an incident at work and couldn't do ANYTHING on the pond for about five or six years. However, I DID have fish in mine. I never got a pump in, didn't feed the fish or prune the plants. When I finally got back to it, the fish were fat and had multiplied, the waterlillies had overrun the pond, and the only smell was that slight algae aroma. You won't know until you try it!
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
So I'm thinking of installing a 10x10 ft tub style pond(not liners) without any technology whatsoever and no fish. Is that possible? I just want a quiet pond with plants around it. I might put some big boulders that pop out of the water too. Kind of like a Japanese pond.
I will apply netting so debris won't go in, I will use mosquito dunks, and the pond will be in deep shade with minimal sunlight. Is this kind of pond possible?

Stagnant water with no flow or falls whatsoever? Hmm!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Your question sorta describes my pond after I had an incident at work and couldn't do ANYTHING on the pond for about five or six years. However, I DID have fish in mine. I never got a pump in, didn't feed the fish or prune the plants. When I finally got back to it, the fish were fat and had multiplied, the waterlillies had overrun the pond, and the only smell was that slight algae aroma. You won't know until you try it!
John
As you said, your pond had fish in it. The fish swimming provide enough water movement.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well I will replace the water annually. So is this plan of having pumpless, fishless pond a yay or nay?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You can try. Then if it didn't work, you can always put a fountain pump in :)

My guess is it'll be a big hole of green soup (algae) and a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

But you haven't tell us how do you plan to hold the water?

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I don't understand why you don't want a fountain or a small waterfall
A big part of a pond is the trangle sound of the fountain or waterfall.

Ruben

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
All you can do is try and if it does work you have won if it doesn't then it can be an easy change .You will probably get lots of frogs and other visitors .Snails will probably come also .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Because I don't have electricity nearby and I don't want to go through the process of hiring an electrician and installing one, we can't afford that.
But what is so bad about a still pond if there will be minimal mosquitoes and if it will be maintained regularly? Is it just because of the smell?

Ask a Question