Pond with waterfall and stream

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
After some help please as I have run out of ideas. I want to turn my waterfall to the right on the photo and run into a stream. Then running all the way returning back to pond. My problem is halfway round is the stream lowest point. Do i need a second pump or need to build up the stream, or even put a dam in
Please help
Thanks

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 20210228_122419.jpg
    20210228_122419.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 20210228_122435.jpg
    20210228_122435.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 82

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1614632875195.gif
@Tomo228
I see what you want to accomplish. Too bad that whole area is not higher so the steam can just glide back into the pond. Not sure how to fix it w/o a lot of dirt. Perhaps someone else will have a better answer for you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can see it too, but do fear that, unless you berm up that low area and raise it up to at least the level of the pond, you will have issues with the water just continuing to flow over the edge and down hill. You could just raise the edge itself, but I think you'll get a much more natural look if you softly berm the whole low spot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your low area can certainly be built up. Bu t here is my question are you going to change the circulation so much that it won't work with the ponds now set up ?

If your looking for a shallow stream then i'd venture to guess you will need to bring in some fill. to build up the lowest point but it's hard to judge how low it is.

From what i can see it looks like your falls is built up a bit making for a drop intot he pond if you want a stream i wonder if that wouldn't' be a killer idea similar to the third video on this page below

Reaction score
A pump it is. You're below the water level of the pond so no other way around it. But in order for a pump to work the pump cant be so powerful that it overcomes the flow of water leaving the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cool idea. But water doesn't flow uphill, unfortunately. Berming up your yard to get all areas of the stream equal to or above the water level of the pond your best bet. I don't think a pump is going to do much for you unless you're okay either 1) collecting water at the low point and returning it to the pond via a pipe or 2) relying on the force of the pump to jettison the water turbulently uphill back to the pond.

But if you're not up berming and want a totally wild idea, you could make a lock system like they use in canals:

How do you feel about shifting the theme of your pond to a more maritime feel? You could get mini container ships or some Italian figurines in gondolas. Could be like those folks with the giant model train sets in their basements.

I'm kidding, of course. But that would be a pretty awesome back yard project.

Ask a Question