Pond without waterfall

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I am new.
We have a 2500 litre (600 gallon) pond without a pump or filter which is 2 years old. The fish, frogs and birds love it but it requires constant cleaning and gets string algae.

So I need a pump and filter. Problem is I don’t want a waterfall. It is close to the neighbours bedroom and our current tiny solar fountain is great because it turns off at night. But the new pump will go 24/7.

How do I get the filtered water back into the pond silently without a waterfall but still getting some oxygenation? We haven’t bought the pump or filter yet but was looking at a Oase Biopress or Oase filtoclear.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just run the return line over the side of the pond and into the water. You can even have it discharge underwater if you want. You can conceal the plumbing with rocks or bury it - all depends on your set up.

Post a picture and we can share more specific ideas! Welcome to the GPF by the way!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OH and I would be remiss if I didn't suggest you skip the filter and add bog filtration instead! We can share more about that if you'd be interested in an alternative.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
bear in mind how essential 'falling water' is as it provides oxygen to the pond by agitating the surface. I'd think if you keep your return hose/pipe/whatever low enough, the sound will be minimal. If you can create something like a waterfall in the form of a 'river of rocks' over which you pour your pump outlet, that would be even better and probably not be too loud. Also, aeration is known to help thwart algae (and especially mosquitoes!)

Just an idea or two.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
First photo is the pond before the plants grew. The second photo is recent.
No room for a bog filter, good idea though.

Yes, I was worried about getting air into the pond. So you can get enough air by just letting it trickle over rocks?

Attachments

• 58095E34-12AE-473E-8EA8-EAE433D1BB3A.jpeg
    58095E34-12AE-473E-8EA8-EAE433D1BB3A.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 226
  • 32ACE55F-65E5-4B54-9073-5B97A4D17FDE.jpeg
    32ACE55F-65E5-4B54-9073-5B97A4D17FDE.jpeg
    378.5 KB · Views: 210

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1601336949894.gif
@pebbleoz
I agree hose from pump/filter can just be stuck under water or close to top so as to make it more quiet and WOW Kanga's! Are they pets or just visiting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I love joeys! Is that a mama doe and her Joey?

You don't need a waterfall. Just direct the pump outlet at the surface of the water. The disturbance will help induce oxygen. The more splashing, the better, but you said you didn't want to disturb your neighbors, so experiment with the hose position.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
That was a show off photo - I couldn’t resist. We live on a suburban block of land in a tiny coastal village and while the kangaroos (yes they are all wild) are around In the early mornings and evenings they rarely come into the pond during the day. That mother was showing her Joey (still in the pouch) where to get water during a dry spell.

Thank you for the pump/filter advice we are going to order it tomorrow. I think we will go for the Oase Filtoclear.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So neat! Water running over rocks will add o2 to the pond. You can make it so the water does not make a lot of noise. Just sort of rolls over the rocks without drops.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would do a bog where the water returns by a stream. A light trickling sound can or can be made silent but the moving water can help co2 to escape from the water it doesn't do alot to add O2 but .
And I would talk to your neighbor i have never met anyone who hated the sound of a waterfall my neighbor moved her patio set closer to my yard so she can hear the falls

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
From;

https://nmsgraysreef.blob.core.wind...f_turbulence_on_dissolved_oxygen_in_water.pdf

"There are a variety of factors that can increase the level of dissolved oxygen in water. Dissolved oxygen naturally enters the water from the atmosphere and will continue to enter the water until it becomes saturated. When aquatic plants and algae are exposed to sunlight they produce oxygen as a waste product of photosynthesis. The structure of a stream or river affects dissolved oxygen. The more turbulence that a stream or river displays, such as waterfalls or rapids, the more oxygen is absorbed into the water. Also, turbulence on the surface of a body of water caused by wind tends to increase levels of dissolved oxygen. Artificial aeration such as with an aquarium bubble stone will increase DO levels, sometimes dramatically."

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I would do a bog where the water returns by a stream. A light trickling sound can or can be made silent but the moving water can help co2 to escape from the water it doesn't do alot to add O2 but .
And I would talk to your neighbor i have never met anyone who hated the sound of a waterfall my neighbor moved her patio set closer to my yard so she can hear the falls
Someone in our village had a huge falling out over a pond and waterfall. We have 4 different frogs already that our neighbours have to put up with - I can’t add a waterfall but trickling water is fine.
I bought the filter and pump today!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
don't know where you live that a sound of a waterfall a very suttle waterfal is obnoxious but I am glad I dont live there

Ask a Question