Pond woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago I had a nice small pond about 1.5 m by 0.5 m it had wildlife (newts and insects in it, no frogs sadly).
Then sadly my wife let an idiot move it.
A) He moved it to a place where it is shaded on 3 sides by an apple tree, shed and fence
B) He didn't do it properly and it all leaked
It now has no/very little wildlife in it. I looked a few weeks and found nothing, not even mosquito larva!
I want to move it back to its original place
My question are
1) How long would it take? (I am planning on digging a hole, putting the soil in containers, make the pond, move the water and then fill in the old pond)
2) My wife is away for 10 days and I was thinking of doing now but maybe it would be in September also I am quite busy while she is away.
3) Any advice apart from not letting idiots near it again?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you mean how long would the actual moving of the pond take? How fast do you work? When I'm on a roll, I can move mountains... some days I need a lot of sitting down time! When you do it is completely up to you. Like I said - everyone works at their own pace.

Is this a preformed rigid pond? If so, and it leaked after the move, I wouldn't try to use it again. I would do an EPDM liner - so much easier to construct. If you use a preformed liner, it's imperative that the base be completely level and stable so you don't have any shifting.

Some pictures of what you're dealing with would be helpful!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you mean how long would the actual moving of the pond take? How fast do you work? When I'm on a roll, I can move mountains... some days I need a lot of sitting down time! When you do it is completely up to you. Like I said - everyone works at their own pace.

Is this a preformed rigid pond? If so, and it leaked after the move, I wouldn't try to use it again. I would do an EPDM liner - so much easier to construct. If you use a preformed liner, it's imperative that the base be completely level and stable so you don't have any shifting.

Some pictures of what you're dealing with would be helpful!

Sorry I should have said I will use a butyl liner with lots and lots of newspapers underneath to keep it safe.
I meant how many hours to dig it and how many to move the water.
I don't have much experience digging last time was 10 years ago when I did the original and I don't want to start it and then go on holiday and leave it half done.
I will try to get some photos soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I guess there are 2 things that determine how much time it will take. How good of physical condition are you in and how hard is the digging. Is it all sandy soil or mixed rocks, how much clay? Our soil here is volcanic ash sand. When dry it is like trying to dig in sandstone, jump on the shovel and maybe get 1/2" down. But... after a really good soaking, hours with a sprinkler, it's easy digging, but heavy stuff full of water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Impossible question to answer! My garden is on sandstone, dig more than one foot down and you will need a pneumatic drill. At my sisters property less than two miles away you could dig to Australia with out a spade as her soil so very different! My guess is that London and surrounds is built on clay, easier to dig into than rock, tougher than any sandy soil. Depends on the size of ones shovel really.
Newspapers will rot, best use old carpet if you don't want to go to the expense of buying a proper liner, but you may still have probs with an old carpet. Woven membrane plus pond underlay specifically made for the job are best.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Impossible question to answer! My garden is on sandstone, dig more than one foot down and you will need a pneumatic drill. At my sisters property less than two miles away you could dig to Australia with out a spade as her soil so very different! My guess is that London and surrounds is built on clay, easier to dig into than rock, tougher than any sandy soil. Depends on the size of ones shovel really.
Newspapers will rot, best use old carpet if you don't want to go to the expense of buying a proper liner, but you may still have probs with an old carpet. Woven membrane plus pond underlay specifically made for the job are best.
Thank you both
It is clay in London - well guessed and can be very hard at this time of year. I am a man and not in great condition

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I need something done that is back breaking, I find a teenager looking to make some cash. Teenage muscle and energy worth it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I need something done that is back breaking, I find a teenager looking to make some cash. Teenage muscle and energy worth it
Letting someone else work on the pond was what caused this problem - no way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
its small 5ft L and wud b 2 ft depth i assume so max 3 days with good rest and breaks and minimum 1day . i will suggest .... dont dump the soil at 1st , finish digging and pile it nearby , place liner etc fill water then ur done with basic pond , u can disposeoff soil later gradually using wheelbarrow
if u dont have rain , water it a bit 1 day before u dig it will make it soft

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have heard of people using batted insulation for an underlayment. or carpet padding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
The spoil heap could be used to make a small waterfall maybe, if you have enough spare liner and some rocks. Or even a rockery if the waterfall idea would be too hard a task. If I lived nearer, I would give you a hand, honest. Is there no one, a younger neighbour or someone who could help you out in exchange for a sandwich and a beer?
Hope it all goes well for you, but most if all, be careful with your back :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The spoil heap could be used to make a small waterfall maybe, if you have enough spare liner and some rocks. Or even a rockery if the waterfall idea would be too hard a task. If I lived nearer, I would give you a hand, honest. Is there no one, a younger neighbour or someone who could help you out in exchange for a sandwich and a beer?
Hope it all goes well for you, but most if all, be careful with your back :)

had me at beer and food. where do i go ?

Ask a Question