Ponder in Utah

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Binh Phung and I am from Salt Lake City, Utah.
I am on the planning stage of a 2500 gallon water garden, not sure if I want to keep Koi/ goldfish or wild catch blue gill and cat fish. I have an outdoor kitchen and the idea of having a pond to keep my wild catch fishes fresh sounds really good! My backyard is fairly big but the previous owner left me nothing but grass on it. This summer i plan to build a pond with a pergola next to it and utilize the ground underneath the pergola to hide all my pumps, hose, underground filter system, then use Trex to build a deck to cover them all and act as flooring for the pergola.
I'd like to thanks to all the members in this forum for your vast knowledge and resources. Your DIY sections have save me many errors, times and money should I have to learn it all by myself. Here is a list of material I need gather atm, please give me advise on anything you think I should change, modify, also where I can get the best deal on them :
Sequence pump 750 series 3600 GPH
Firestone liner 20x30 45mil
or Firestone liner 20x30 60 mil
Koi Toilet I Aerated Bottom Drain - 3-inch
Skimmer ( please recommend)
Aerator
Happy Ponding!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome bphung to the group!

It is always good to keep away from errors and yeah it sure does make ponding easier.

welcomefromgang4.gif

Post pictures as you go

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to GPF, Binh :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome bphung and hope you have fun here lots to learn when it comes to pond here

are you installing liner by yourself or with help weight in shipping could cost and weight alone is very heavy the thicker you go .But upside will last longer and will be sturdier and take more abuse

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome35.gif
Binh
If you can afford the thicker liner I'd go for it otherwise the 45mil is also fine :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome bphung! I am not sure if I would want to eat wild catch fish from my pond. Typically ponds have much higher bio loads than what is seen in natural rivers, lakes, and streams. The pond environment may not be ideal for fish that you eat. Whereas koi and goldfish are pets that the whole family can enjoy. So my vote would be for koi/goldfish for your pond!

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your warm welcome!
I have a few friends that are Koi keepers here in SLC and thought I'd be little different by keeping wild catch fishes, lol. Beside I already have two 55 gallon aquarium for live plants and community fishes, also another tank for red eared slider turtles as pets.Thanks Keith for the head up about the bio load, I also afraid that the sharp spike on a cat fish's back could poke a hole in the liner.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Doubt a catfish could pole hole in the liner bphung. The liners are pretty tough.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
EPDM 45 mil and above liners are not likely to get a hole poked into them. PVC liners and others that are less than 45 mil are suspect.

Ask a Question