Ponders, good bye.

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
fjmc02.jpg

My last koi died of loneliness today. I quit. I'll pump out water, dismantle the pond, fill it up with mud, then I'll make a patio from the old pond site. Good bye. Johnnie.

PS: For newcomers, my other koi died on 9/28/2012 when my new pump failed while I was away on a trip.
DSC02392.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So sorry to hear you are giving up on ponds. Have you thought of putting in shubunkins? They are really pretty, I have them. Easy to care for to.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, so sorry for your loss! I can't think of a more discouraging scenario! Maybe just give it a break, and like Addy suggested, try some Shubies or goldfish.

Reaction score
Oh that is awful. So sorry. I too might consider giving up the hobby in that case. Please allow me to make a suggestion. Don't fill in the pond just yet. Let it sit for a while. Maybe your batteries will recharge and you will regain your desire to keep the pond and add new fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could go with a fishless pond and just use plants to make it pretty and maybe later try again .Fishless ponds can be really pretty and easy to take care .Sorry to see how many pretty fish you lost .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I lost all my fish two winters ago. Last summer I just had plants. This spring my grand kids wanted fish, so we are going with goldfish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So sad for you Johnnie. I only have my many little goldies and a few shubbies. They make me happy and I'd miss them too if they were all to go.
You gotta do what you gotta do but maybe wait before you fill it in and think about some goldies or shubbies. Lots of them out there needing a good pond like yours to live in and raise a family.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Jonnie why give in on the hobby you so obviously loved buy one or two good koi books educate yourself some more on koi keeping and start again safe in the knowledge your up to speed on any eventuallity .
I was once the death of goldfish until my partner Val bough me my first ever book on fish health problems.
Now 27 years later though I'm still learning (you acctually never stop learning in this hobby)we have a nice pond with healthy koi in.
There has to be some little mistake you've made that can be quite symply rectified.
You kept your koi in good health what did you do that changed things look and you'll find your answer.
There are times when with knowledge arent as dark as you think.
Did you ever consider joining a koi club, you said your pond pump failed whilst you where away , they wold have people look after your pond besides its not your fault the pump failed.
The koi I see lying on the grass where in very good condition and in rude health i;e imaculate condition believe me I know a good koi keeper when I see one and that is from a person 27 years as a koi keeper please dont go knocking yourself about it.
Accidents happen , its probably a knock on effect of your pump failing that claimed them not you .
Please reconsider go though everything with a fine tooth comb and start again

rgrds

Dsve

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Dave 54 said:
The koi I see lying on the grass where in very good condition and in rude health i;e imaculate condition believe me I know a good koi keeper when I see one and that is from a person 27 years as a koi keeper please dont go knocking yourself about it.
Accidents happen , its probably a knock on effect of your pump failing that claimed them not you .
Well said!

Sorry for Your loss, I'm sure that would be devastating. I agree with the others on the fish-less pond for now though.

I moved all my fish, koi included, to a bigger pond this year but left the small pond for a backup and kept plants in it and it's kinda nice to be able to put whatever plants I want in there and not having to worry about my Koi piggies chomping them up in minutes.

Ask a Question