Pondless waterfall build

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new to this forum and I am not sure if I am in the right place but here goes. I am building a pondless waterfall and I know most of the components I need but I’m trying not to buy expensive pond blocks for the reservoir. Just wondering if anybody ever used 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in them. Seems like it would be a lot cheaper. Thanks Mike

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Some have used milk crates with success on here, a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in it to me would weaken it structurally and the constant weight pushing down it may cause it to collapse. Would go the milk crate route if I was going to try and save money.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
a safer option but is not necessarily cheap unless you can find cut off is double walled culvert plastic pipe and maybe a couple plastic pallets

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1668559159086.gif
@Mike wojcik

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Drilled 5-gallon buckets would be totally structurally insufficient, in my opinion.

If you’re not stacking large boulders on them, light duty plastic pallets would be my first budget wise choice. If you want a heavy load on top, heavier duty plastic pallets or milk crates would be my next choice. A 1/2” plastic or composite sheeting on top to spread out point loads would be even better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How big of a reservoir are you planning? Lots of things would be cheaper than Aquablox - they've gotten crazy expensive - the question Is always will they function as well, last as long, be as sturdy, etc.

Check out @combatwombat 's build post - he used milk crates and videoed as he tested them for strength. But he traded cost for the additional work of hauling them home, cleaning them, etc.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Check out @combatwombat 's build post - he used milk crates and videoed as he tested them for strength. But he traded cost for the additional work of hauling them home, cleaning them, etc.

And for a really good laugh search the forums for SWAMP ASS HOG FARM. You won't be sorry! ;-)

And yes, I'm also going the milk crate route, in my case for a wetland filter. Where I live (Israel) Aquablox would come to over $400 apiece. Not going that route!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am no stranger to working around farms, Part of the project is within a cow pasture. Now their patties are rather nasty but compared to pigs its a walk in the park. The aroma is far more pungent , slimy and sticks and stains everything. Sorry i'll dump the cash for aquablocks. but not quite for isaeli costs i would do without the blocks all together and i would look for double walled hdpe pipe or leaching field chambers.

@YShahar obviously its supply and demand that makes them 400 bucks over there no one is making them over there yet. but I'm pretty sure they make sewerage drain tile chambers over there , there's obviously a abundance of supply for there need. https://www.tank-depot.com/productd...rk=o&msclkid=8e7b231f837b16a829bd406939bcb3db

We have said over and over there's no you must do this or you must do that. ADDY1 HAS BEEN VERY SUCESSFUL WITH NO BLOCKS AND NOTHING BUT PEA STONE. while i used a 24 " culvert pipe with aqua blocks and had great luck . and yes combatwombat with his pig crates are working well. i believe its the fundamental principles that are the must. not the shape of the plastic.

Ask a Question