Pondless Waterfall Redo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys,

About 10 years ago I had a guy come over and install a pondless waterfall in my backyard. (see attached) After several years I believe the liner is leaking. I'm not that handy, but I can figure stuff out. I am looking for help on what I should do with this space. I have thought about replacing what I have now with something cleaner with more light. I want to use as much of the stone I currently have.

Maybe something like this? I am a total newb when it comes to this and looking for your help!

786becd6d7aae7fd3bdb2a07f413cd8c.jpg

Attachments

• waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 239

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The liner may be your most expensive thig but it is easy to do .Look on youtube for pondless water features .You already have the wall .The scupper coming out the top can be cheaply built by a metal person n a shop.Just show them a pick and the size of the hose ,you can also buy them premade

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! That's a cute little spot for a pondless waterfall. Where is the basin? I'm assuming the water didn't come over the wall?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The liner may be your most expensive thig but it is easy to do .Look on youtube for pondless water features .You already have the wall .The scupper coming out the top can be cheaply built by a metal person n a shop.Just show them a pick and the size of the hose ,you can also buy them premade

Please treat me as a 2 year old. LOL I need links to what you are talking about. Getting the new liner is easy, but everything else will be difficult.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome! That's a cute little spot for a pondless waterfall. Where is the basin? I'm assuming the water didn't come over the wall?

Are you referring to the front wall? No, the water flows down the front.

The basin is on the right. Water flows from the left to the right where the pump is located.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK. So the easy part will be taking the current waterfall apart. Where (and why) do you think the liner is leaking?

The "scupper" is the metal weir - the part that the water is flowing out of. You can buy these premade: here's one option -

https://www.primrose.co/-p-22726.ht...MI0POH8oDK2QIVVlmGCh0JZAbREAQYBCABEgLa6fD_BwE

But I would consider something like this:

Backyard-Waterfall-Watermark-400x320.jpg

I would keep it low profile and front facing, so you can view it straight on. Just an idea!

Reaction score
Country
United States
OK. So the easy part will be taking the current waterfall apart. Where (and why) do you think the liner is leaking?

The "scupper" is the metal weir - the part that the water is flowing out of. You can buy these premade: here's one option -

https://www.primrose.co/-p-22726.ht...MI0POH8oDK2QIVVlmGCh0JZAbREAQYBCABEgLa6fD_BwE

But I would consider something like this:

View attachment 108514

I would keep it low profile and front facing, so you can view it straight on. Just an idea!

I am looking for suggestions on the space that I have. I was thinking of possibly having two scuppers possibly going in different directions bc. the front is kind of shallow. The sides are deeper and will have less water loss. Remember, I'm a total newb with this stuff. I don't even know if that would be a good idea.

The pump would run several weeks during the summer with ZERO problems. Now, the pump runs for 5 hours and I need to fill back up with water. You can see the liner has pulled away from the brick. I had a professional come out last year and he said it was too thin. Something about the previous guy should not have done what he did.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard "the last guy shouldn't have done that!"

And I was referring to your existing space with my suggestions. You don't need all that much room for a small pondless. A few large rocks do so much more visually than a big pile of smaller rocks. You could literally build a small waterfall with three boulders and a handful of smaller rocks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Or what about a series of bubbling boulders as an alternative? Just throwing out some ideas here.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Or what about a series of bubbling boulders as an alternative? Just throwing out some ideas here.
I need a graphic to see what you are referring to. Do a lot of ppl prefer the pondless waterfall look over the image I uploaded? What do you call that type of waterfall? edgeless?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Or maybe something like this. Front leads to a basin then goes left or right? Or is that too much for that small of space? See attached.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 397
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pondless or disappearing waterfall just refers to the fact there is no pond at the end. The water disappears into the rocks which are over the underground basin where the pump sends it back to the top. You can certainly do the style you posted - I was just throwing out some other ideas. To me, the sleek style of the metal weir is more “fountain” than waterfall and doesn’t really lend itself to adding plants. So it would just be rocks and water. Totally a personal preference though!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pondless or disappearing waterfall just refers to the fact there is no pond at the end. The water disappears into the rocks which are over the underground basin where the pump sends it back to the top. You can certainly do the style you posted - I was just throwing out some other ideas. To me, the sleek style of the metal weir is more “fountain” than waterfall and doesn’t really lend itself to adding plants. So it would just be rocks and water. Totally a personal preference though!

Well, I am hoping someone can help me DIY as well as come up with a plan on what I should do with the space.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It would be polite of you to at least thank Lisa for taking time to offer possible ideas for you . On this forum you will get more help if you acknowledge what is offered.

Ask a Question