Pondless waterfall stream “connection” - Help!

Reaction score
We are planning on installing a pondless waterfall stream that runs the length of our backyard. The yard is intersected by a deck, and we’d like to divert the stream into a pvc pipe for travel under the deck until it opens back up into the regular stream again. I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to terminate the stteam liner into the pvc pipe? Are there any hardware attachments like a yard drain that would work? Thanks in advance for the help!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What size pvc pipe are you planning?Is there a slope to the yard? If its large enough, just fit the stream liner into the pvc but it owuld need to be on a downward slope.

Reaction score
There is a slope to the yard and I was planning on using 2-3” PVC. I know when connecting liner to skimmers or spillways, they sometimes have a bracket to place the liner between. Wasn’t sure if there was something that was the reverse of this for outgoing water. Don’t want to have to worry about the integrity of the connection, so not sure if just placing the liner in the pipe would be the right move.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You could use a bulkhead. We have kind of the reverse - we have a 4" PVC pipe going from our sump pump into our rain exchange. We installed a bulk head into the side of the liner so the pipe could drain right into the rain exchange, instead of going over the liner.

One issue I think you may have though is sheer volume of water. I don't know that even a 3" pipe would be big enough to funnel all that water through. And what if it clogs? What if you did more of a culvert - open on the top and just lay the liner into the bottom, continuing the stream. No cutting the liner, more volume of water, can go through, and it will always be open in case you need to clean it out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would not try to force the entire stream flow into a pipe. Consider making a pool, even a shallow one on one side of the deck, and your overflow pipe in the liner bulkhead to run the water out of that pool, under the deck and continue the stream there. You could do this with a gravel filled collecting area as well if a you’re trying to eliminate open water completely. Trying to get a stream into a small pipe wouldn’t work so well.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1564686560984.gif
@Nimbleslick

Reaction score
A stream sounds like a lot of water. Have you considered getting a culvert? You could attach the liner to the culvert with a large band, something like a hose clamp and embed the liner in a roofing sealant so that it is watertight to the culvert.

Ask a Question