pondless waterfall

Reaction score
I am looking to put a pondless waterfall in my front yard. I don't want to make it deep at all so that I don't have to put a fence around it. I also have major raccoon problems, so I don't think I can put in fish or plants. I've read that the raccoons dig up plants and eat them. If you have ideas for plants that raccoons will leave alone, please share with me.

After doing a lot of research on my own, i have an idea of what I want to do. I'm too poor to buy ready made products, so I'm going to diy for most things.

And epdm liner will be used to make the stream and reservoir. The reservoir should be big enough to hold twice the volume of the water in the stream (is this right?). I have clay soil and was thinking i'd need an underlayer. Is there something cheaper than the underlayer that is sold online?

I've also read that external pumps are better in the long run, but it seems that with a reservoir setup that I'd need a submerged pump in a milk crate. Opinions on this?

I was planning on building a doc bio filter and place it behind the top waterfall - the output from that to the weir (also diy
). I think the filter might be overkill here since there won't be any fish, but i'd rather have nice smelling water ;)

Do I need to worry about mosquitos? I don't think I'll have any pools in it.

Plants that raccoons won't bother? If there are any and I plant them, how deep would the water need to be there? And would it need to be a still pool?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You can use old carpet, carpet pad, some have used newspapers, just anything to protect the liner from rocks etc.

Probably with a pond less feature you would want to stick with a submersible. It could be done with a external
Double the size of the stream would be good, to collect water when you turn it off.

Your plants can be marginals they would not need to be in just water, but in gravel in your pondless water containment area.

We have tons of racoons, they have not bothered one plant in my pond or bog.

Ask a Question