Pondmaster 2000 filter kit - Any good?

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a Newbie :100:

I just bought the below Pondmaster 2000 Filter/Fountain kit below:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=5232&prodid=9680&catid=31

I got the 2950 model rated for up to a 2000 gallon pond with the 950 gph pump. I will have it in a 800 gallon pre-formed pond (38 inches deep), but I know how some manufacturers OVER-rate their products all the time. Will this thing keep my pond sparkling or just barely cut the mustard?

I only plan on putting about 10 Comet Goldfish in there once the Pond has cycled. Thanks for your replies, Jimbo

Reaction score
Hello...............Is anybody out there???

I'm new to this Forum and I've posted 3 different times, but no one has responded to any of them???

Is it something I said???

Reaction score
Hi Newbie! Sorry I can't help you, I am a newbie too. I can tell you I have fish tanks, and the more water you have circulating(turnover) per hour the better. If you can afford to go bigger, go bigger. Of course, I know nothing about ponds yet, but more turnover, more oxygen, healthier fish. Good Luck with your project.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sorry Jimbo
Some of us have other lives and don't always get time to read the Forum daily.

I read the specs on their filter and it seems to have all the elements for filtration. That said, I think you will want another pump for circulation, 950 GPH, in my opinion is not enough. With 10 Comet Goldfish, you may be ok. If you go to Koi, you will want more circulation.

When I turn on my 3800 GPM waterfall, my adult Koi love it. My 24/7 waterfall and bio filter is fed with a 1150 GPH Beckett pump. It barely moves enough volume to sweep the entire pond bottom.

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your replies!!!

DrDave, I think you're right about the lack of circulation. The 950 gph pump is what the manufacturer matched up with the filter, but when I think of all the water movement and surface agitation in my aquariums, that little fountain isn't going to cut it. I'll have to stick something else in there just to get the water flowing..............thanks for the suggestion. Do you have any recommendations?

Also, I'm definitely going to stick with Goldfish. No Koi for me............I just don't think a 800 gallon pond is big enough for those guys! And just to let you know, I also had big plans for a waterfall and was going to have an external filter and pump, but when my air conditioner (for my house) and my riding mower both broke down in the same week :banghead3:............that threw a HUGE wrench into my major pond plans :grumble:. The wife and I had to sit down and "chat" and we decided to cut the pond budget in HALF, so all the REALLY cool stuff is going to have to wait until next spring.........boo, hiss!!!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have 8 adult Koi (14"-16" long) in my 700 gallon pond. I'm thinking about reducing that to 6 and building another larger pond.

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby or can go to their website, I would see what they have a sale on. You can usually find some relatively inexpensive pumps from them.

They also offer extended warantees for a few buck more.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Sorry Jimbo
I think you will want another pump for circulation, 950 GPH, in my opinion is not enough. With 10 Comet Goldfish, you may be ok.

OK, I checked out Harbor Frieght. They had a "knock off" of the Laguana Max Pump that was pretty cheap and on sale. Here it is:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95965

The only thing................do you think this is a bit overkill? Will it be too much for my little 800 gallon pond? I was planning on pointing the outflow towards the surface. At over 3000 gph, would it shoot half way to the moon?

They didn't have anything similar at a lower gph rate. I like the idea of it sitting on the bottom and being able to point the outflow where ever you want it. Apparently, the regular price was $130 bucks.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you have a waterfall, the GPH is reduced by the "head" or lift. so if it's output is diminshed 20% your exchange rate would be about 3X (3 water exchanges per hour). You can always choke it down with a ball valve.

I'm glad you found this, I think I'm going to run over and pick one up as a backup and possible replacement while they are on sale. I have a harbor Freight a 5 minutes away. When does the sale end?

BTW, Home Depot carries the hose you will need with this. HF does not.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
If you have a waterfall, the GPH is reduced by the "head" or lift. so if it's output is diminshed 20% your exchange rate would be about 3X (3 water exchanges per hour).

When does the sale end?

BTW, Home Depot carries the hose you will need with this. HF does not.

Well, that's the thing...........I don't have a waterfall. Next Spring I will, but because of all the un-for-seen expenses that came up this month, I've had to put all that stuff on hold and I'm just going with a "bare-bones" type of pond setup this spring. I'm just going to have the 2000 gallon Pondmaster Filter and Fountain deal (at the top of this thread) and some type of pump to circulate the water............and thats it!

So if I go with this 3200 gph pump from Harbor Freight my exchange rate would be 4 times per hour. Is this too much??? Also, I wasn't planning on hooking it up to anything...............just dropping it in the bottom and letting it shoot away with no tubing/hose or anything. Would this cause a problem?

As far as I know, this may be a permanent markdown, but I really can't say for sure.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It is hard to say how much it too much. Most of us worry about not having enough. Like I said, a valve will choke it down if it is too much for your current situation. Later on, when you build your waterfall, you can open the valve up and let her rip.

Some of this is "seat of the pants" and common sense. i don't think this is an exact science.

Reaction score
I need to go pick one up tommorow this may solve the issue of having 3 seprate pumps. 1 950 to the UV lamp and the waterfall. 1 for the fountain. Im pretty sure with this I should be able to put it at the bottom deep end is (36" shallow end is 12"). build a manifold to diverte to a biological filter and the the UV lamp to the fountain.

Reaction score
I ended up NOT ordering that Laguna Max "knock off" from Harbor Freight. I noticed that this pump only had a 90 Day Warranty and that kind of worried me because just about every other reputable brand on the market has a 3 YEAR WARRANTY. Something just isn't "right" with that??? I guess you never know............it could end up lasting 10 years????

Anyway, the more I thought about it, the more I kept thinking that I was going to end up needing a UV Sterilizer, so I finally bit the bullet and ordered this one:

http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProduct.asp?SKU=PON-02920

The company that I ordered the Pondmaster 2000 Filter from sent me the PM 1000 by mistake, so they were kind enough to just let me KEEP IT, instead of shipping it back!!! So now I'm going to use the PM 1000 as my Pre-filter to the 20 watt UV Sterilizer that is hooked up to a separate Pondmaster 950 gph pump.

I'll have another PM 1200 gph pump hooked up to the PM 2000 Filter, so the 2 pumps together should take care of the circulation problem, right? Thanks, Jimbo

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sounds like you have it covered. Harbor Freight offers extended warrantees for a small fee. I got a 3 year warrantee for my 3800GPH pump and so far I have used it 4years.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Sounds like you have it covered. Harbor Freight offers extended warrantees for a small fee. I got a 3 year warrantee for my 3800GPH pump and so far I have used it 4years.

Good deal! Definitely sounds like you got your moneys worth because Harbor Freight sure has good prices!

I have one more question for everyone! I'm guessing that the carbon pads that come with these Pondmaster filters are going to clog much to easily and I don't want to be dragging them out of the pond left and right. I've heard and read rave reviews about this "Matala" filter media below:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15799&prodid=31300&catid=31

It supposedly never goes bad and doesn't clog as easily as other similar pads??? My question is, for this type of application, which type of Matala pad would you get, the Medium Density GREEN, or the High Density BLUE?

Ask a Question