Pondmaster? Or ?

Reaction score
Hello everyone :) I have a 3000 gallon koi pond and waterfall. I am adding a 55 gallon bio filter to it and a bottom drain this spring. Currently I have a lowes 3600 gph pump, inline uv filter and waterfall box bio filter. So my question is what submersible pumps would work well with this application? It has to have an inlet and discharge so I can connect for drain and run thru filters and falls. Thanks so much for any help :)

Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
check out laguna pumps for energy savings and webbs online sells them through ebay cheaper and I posted my new one on pumps and filters on here .They have a nice 4200 gph one that uses 160 watts and 4 year warranty.I always use 2 pumps one goes out you have back up

Reaction score
check out laguna pumps for energy savings and webbs online sells them through ebay cheaper and I posted my new one on pumps and filters on here .They have a nice 4200 gph one that uses 160 watts and 4 year warranty.I always use 2 pumps one goes out you have back up

I really like there pumps but there is not an input line for the bottom drain .....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I thought if you took off the cage thingy there would be an input line on the Laguna's? I know they say you should not remove that grate thing but if you have it hooked to a line nothing is gonna plug it up right?

Reaction score
I thought if you took off the cage thingy there would be an input line on the Laguna's? I know they say you should not remove that grate thing but if you have it hooked to a line nothing is gonna plug it up right?

I did notice this under the cage but unsure if anyone has tried this ? If so please pipe in :) also may void warranty? Thanks

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
With any pump picking up stuff coming from a bottom drain would void the warranty except for external pumps with a leaf basket .If you do not need to use the bottom drain all the time why can't you just use a sump pump or dirty water pump plug it in when you need to clean the bottom of the pond and the just unplug it when not needed .I really don't understand bottom drains but was wondering if that would work .I know I have asked people that do pro pond set ups and they don't put bottom drains in because of stone and gravel in the pond on the bottom and sides .Some of them instead will use an air plate under the gravel to keep it clean ,but when I read that was not sure on that either because that may release toxins from under ,but guessing if you keep them going all the time It may not .I get confuse by all the different things to try and some times wonder do they really work .I just use a pool net to clean the bottom .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
On second thought that might be too much gunk going through a pump like that. I use a pondmaster and have a prefilter on it. That's what we were talking about in that thread I linked you above.

Reaction score
I called laguna and they stated that PT -640 and part pt-609 would allow me to quick connect to the inlet inside the cage but I sure would hate to spend that kind of money on the pump if I cannot hook up to it. ?? Come on warm weather haha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 240
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 226

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pumps are not cheap and no matter what it is going to cost you and unless you can just use the dirty water pump each time you use the drain .External would do it with no problem because the leaf basket is before the pump

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounds like an external might be the way to go but.................hey "It'll cost ya"

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i love my externals, nice big leaf basket before the pump, no puling out of the pond to clean or work on.

Reaction score
Well I just ordered the Laguna max flow 2900 for the falls and drum bio filter. Were going to use my other internal pump for the skimmer and uv filter. Now it's just time to wait patiently for shipping and the weather to start working :)

Ask a Question