Pondmaster Pump Problems, any fixes?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a couple of Pondmaster pumps that would start to rattle and I would put in a new impeller unit. Now they are "scoring" the impeller magnet and only run for a short while, maybe 4 hours, before stopping. In cleaning the pumps I notice the impeller channel is scored on the inside. Is there anything that can be done to fix the pump? New impellers just seem to rattle around. Also, any experience on the cause/prevention going forward?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sounds like these pumps have been operated at some point without a pre-filter. Sand or some other object has infiltrated the pump thus scoring the magnet and impeller surfaces. If the inner surfaces of the pump are that severely scored, the pump will need to be replaced.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had 2 pondmasters,both only lasted 2 and 3 years . I find them to be poorly made and prone to such problems.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've a pondmaster 2400 supreme that had been running for 14 yrs straight 24/7. Bought a new Laguna 4280 cuz I wanted more waterfall flow and had a problem w/it. Took it out and put the old pondmaster back in and it is working just fine. After taking out the Laguna and taking the impeller out and putting it back in for some reason it just started working again fine so I have the pondmaster hooked up to the filter and the Laguna solely running the waterfall. All is well w/both of them now. Guess any pumps can fail and get bad reviews but then other people can have the same pump and they will work fine for a long time. Ya just never know.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Being in manufacturing I guess I just have an eye for build quality. I'm aware that even junk can last a long time,the proof of the pudding is in how long something lasts running under less then ideal conditions. I had a 1000 gph tetra running non stop for 8 years,it just died last week. It was running in very clean water for that time.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My pondmaster was put through the ringer for those 14 yrs. I stuck it in a big bucket surrounded by Matala fiber pads crammed in there. Let it run for long lengths of time while gunk packed up around it. When the flow of the falls got down to a low flow I would then take it out and clean it. Thick w/the yuck it continued like that for many years. Then I got prefilters and ran tubing from them to the pump where it runs now. Never had to do anything to the pump, no new impeller or anything. It does supposedly use more power than the Laguna and that's one reason I bought the Laguna but now I have both in there so using even more power. I enjoy the pond tho so who cares :)
I do think there is different quality in the different types of Pondmaster pumps tho. I think the Supreme version might be a better version but I have no experience on the truth of it as this is the only Pondmaster pump I ever owned.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm glad you had good luck with yours, I've seen more pondmaster products fail early then any other.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've used a PondMaster ProLine for the past 8 years (hooked up to a fire hose) for pond pump outs (I'm pretty sure that it's a 5000gph). It's pumped all sorts of crap and never even burps. Super high flow, reliable and sturdy.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
I suppose if you havnt used anything better then pondmaster pumps are fine.

Ask a Question