Ponds in Canada

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thanks Tula! Your just so sweet, yes I try to make them magical and even try to attract little fairies, Ha Ha Ha!

Water pumps from the lowest ponds to the top ponds and free flows back down to bottom pond. Well something like that. Some ponds like the bottom pond, I have one pump and filter that pumps the water to the next upper level pond, and in that same pond there is yet two larger pumps (at other end) that pump water to the second from the top pond (so I can have more water flow to the two biggest oldest koi), and then in that pond (second from the top) there is yet another bigger pump that pumps water to the very top pond. I could really just have one pump from bottom pond pumping to top pond but that would be to easy, (ha ha ha) Water fills the upper ponds to maximum and then free flows down the water channels back to bottom pond. I don't know why I have so many pumps, but I like it that way, then I have more filters to clean! (ha ha ha). but really it allows me to have more water flow in some ponds that I feel need it.

Good Grief I really need to clean house good. I did some light cleaning and discovered dust bunnies were running wild everywhere! I forgot how to clean the house now that I play outside all day by the ponds! ha ha ha

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I like the idea of multiple pumps, so you can control flow. I was looking at your two oldest koi...boy they are beauties!! I have four koi, but they are no where as big as yours.

Do you tether your spinning balls, or do they stay there because of the water flow?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I like the idea of multiple pumps, so you can control

Do you tether your spinning balls, or do they stay there because of the water flow?

The balls are not tethered at all, the water pressure forces ball to spin by centrifugal type of force. The spinning balls also cause ripples on water surface, and that helps to better oxygenate the water as well. I do not like too many "dead spots" and like the water to move lots.

Thank you for the lovely comments on my two very old koi. I have had then outside for over 24 years now, in the coldest of weather and always with water running all year round. I am sure if I had listened to those so called experts who tell people to turn off pumps in winter, they would not have survived . Big koi need lots of oxygen even in winter. No such thing as super cooled water either, that only happens in lab, high in clouds, or you can super chill water in Freezer, but that has to be PURE water ( distilled ) cause otherwise it just cannot happen, cause tap or pond water has minerals and salts.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The new pump that I have is really big and one filter or two screwed together would not work as well as two filters, split with a T, and now I think I will do this for the other big pump too cause then there is much less force sucking the insides of filters.

This works WAY better. Make sure you also use the largest hole possible to connect. Cut the smaller holes out.

20150430_200742.jpg
20150430_200733.jpg

Cut out the two smaller holes that you see on end of attachment, or use larger fitting.
20150501_150912.jpg

I actually never used that last Laguna "Click Fit" cause I found larger attachment and hooked it to really big hose so no water flow would be restricted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I'm going to have to look into those. Have been wanting to come up with a better prefilter solution then the stupid sponge on my pump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The new pump that I have is really big and one filter or two screwed together would not work as well as two filters, split with a T, and now I think I will do this for the other big pump too cause then there is much less force sucking the insides of filters.

This works WAY better. Make sure you also use the largest hole possible to connect. Cut the smaller holes out.

View attachment 80589 View attachment 80590
Cut out the two smaller holes that you see on end of attachment, or use larger fitting.View attachment 80591
I actually never used that last Laguna "Click Fit" cause I found larger attachment and hooked it to really big hose so no water flow would be restricted.
What fitting is that? I see the Laguna click fitting but is it all from Laguna as one piece or is it 2 separate parts

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They sell a Y fitting for the laguna pumps and that is what it looks like .I have never found one that was big enough for my use

Ask a Question