Ponds in Florida

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I am thinking of building a pond here in Sarasota Florida and wondering if anyone can give me some answers as to whether or not the heat here is a detriment to pond life and what challenges it adds to pond maintenance....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I built on in Phoenix AZ hot hot hot, I made the pond deep (5feet) and had 2 water falls. It never climbed above 85 in the summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I know Team Aquascape built one in St. Augustine. They did a YouTube video series about it and I think they addressed some of these issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
that's the key; make it deep, plan on having some floating plants to cover 60% of the surface (or some kind of shade sail, etc) and don't make it narrow (that is, oxygenation occurs at the SURFACE so the more you have, the better the process). Too, hot water will hold less O2 than cooler, hence why you monitor the WATER temperature. Other than that, plan on putting up some sort of gator deterrent; I hear ya gots those types of critters down there and they loves them some fish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am thinking of building a pond here in Sarasota Florida and wondering if anyone can give me some answers as to whether or not the heat here is a detriment to pond life and what challenges it adds to pond maintenance....
I agree with the others - make sure to go *deep* in order to help regulate temperatures & keep things cool.

On a totally unrelated note - I just got back from a vacation to the Sarasota area, and my brother-in-law just permanently relocated to an area just south of there (Nokomis) Hope you enjoy your new digs. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I've been in the Tampa area for a year now, new pond, old fish, very new bog (yes, I love the bog). Get as much shade/ particularly afternoon shade as you can for the pond, from trees, floating plants, shade sail, pergola, and hidey spots in the pond. Netting for fly and wade in birds (knock on wood, no gator here yet). Deep is relative, but mine is 3 feet deep (high water table) and I used additional aeration for 2 months in the summer. All the fish are fine. Have fun!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you find anyone in your area to provide assistance? I would absolutely talk with local pond owners to gather lessons learned from them. Perhaps a Koi Society or local garden center that handles pond equipment can help. The only other thing I can think of is be very cautious of safety issues if you live for example, in a subdivision with children. See @SarahT (above) for first hand help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I second what all the above said but I will stress: make sure the pond is at least partially shaded. You can leave the bog unshaded for the plants to thrive but the pond will be easier to manage temperature wise if it’s shaded.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thank you all for your advice. This group is always so willing to help which makes it VERY special:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I agree with the others - make sure to go *deep* in order to help regulate temperatures & keep things cool.

On a totally unrelated note - I just got back from a vacation to the Sarasota area, and my brother-in-law just permanently relocated to an area just south of there (Nokomis) Hope you enjoy your new digs. ;)
It sure is hot down here but I survived the Summer. It wasn't as hot as Charlottesville was in the Summer though. Red tide is a bummer...We are killing the earth....On a happier note, I won't have to put my pond up for the Winter here:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I've been in the Tampa area for a year now, new pond, old fish, very new bog (yes, I love the bog). Get as much shade/ particularly afternoon shade as you can for the pond, from trees, floating plants, shade sail, pergola, and hidey spots in the pond. Netting for fly and wade in birds (knock on wood, no gator here yet). Deep is relative, but mine is 3 feet deep (high water table) and I used additional aeration for 2 months in the summer. All the fish are fine. Have fun!
The guy who might be building my pond (I am 69 yo woman that feels 79 and can't do what I used to) says that it can't be deeper than 2 1/2 feet because of the ground water level here....He says that the hiding spots, moving water, and plants will keep it from getting too warm.... How deep is your pond SarahT?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
The guy who might be building my pond (I am 69 yo woman that feels 79 and can't do what I used to) says that it can't be deeper than 2 1/2 feet because of the ground water level here....He says that the hiding spots, moving water, and plants will keep it from getting too warm.... How deep is your pond SarahT?
Just read that yours is 3 ft deep….

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
you could make it 2.5' deep into the earth and 2' above with some creative designing (i.e. either footing, cement blocks+cement+rebar, or very well fastened 6x6s; a lot depends on your overall design).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States

you could make it 2.5' deep into the earth and 2' above with some creative designing (i.e. either footing, cement blocks+cement+rebar, or very well fastened 6x6s; a lot depends on your overall design).
That is actually a great idea brokensword....I will discuss it with him and see what we can come up with (pun:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Again, shade is key. There are many ways to shade a pond. Look at it this way… you would fee cooler if sitting in the shade compared for the sun. Apply this concept to a pond.

Ask a Question