Ponds -- it's fascinating to watch.....

DeepWater

The Great Abyss
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Yeah! I love watching the water striders fly around like little air hockey pucks. Do you have the family of babies yet? Probably a little soon this season.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have these little brown water cocoon things that have some kind of creature w/legs that live inside the cocoon and they walk around on the bottom of the pond. Don't know what they are but when I scoop stuff out and I find one I throw it back in. Sometimes the cocoon's are empty so I assume they turn into something else or these have just died.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I have these little brown water cocoon things that have some kind of creature w/legs that live inside the cocoon and they walk around on the bottom of the pond. Don't know what they are but when I scoop stuff out and I find one I throw it back in. Sometimes the cocoon's are empty so I assume they turn into something else or these have just died.

I have them as well, jw.

They are caddisfly larvae.(y)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caddisfly

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I hear you.
These cocoon things are silent when they strike and of course humans can't scream when underwater.
Your fancy alligators make a lot of splashing activity, so they get all the media attention.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I LOVE getting in my pond! I've been in twice already this week. I'm like the female Mrs. Limpet... remember that movie? I always imagine that my fish are happy to see me - when in reality they're probably thinking "her again?"

One of my favorite things to see is a frog skipping over the surface. We've seen them span the whole width of the pond ON TOP OF THE WATER! It's pretty cool! If I could do that it would be my preferred mode of travel!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I LOVE getting in my pond! I've been in twice already this week. I'm like the female Mrs. Limpet... remember that movie? I always imagine that my fish are happy to see me - when in reality they're probably thinking "her again?"

One of my favorite things to see is a frog skipping over the surface. We've seen them span the whole width of the pond ON TOP OF THE WATER! It's pretty cool! If I could do that it would be my preferred mode of travel!
Hahaha fine, you're hired, come get in mine. The weird thing is, I taught diving for years. I just can't stand it when I can't see my feet or fingers.
Mrs. Limpet. :joyful: I'm the first girl that got eaten in Piranha....

Ask a Question