MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have found a new, strangely satisfying pond task. I sit and relax, then spot a long trail of string algae. I have my trusty, skinny bamboo stick next to me, so I stick it in there (it's long enough to reach wherever and thin enough to be delicate with) and twirl it up to pull it out. It's like stinky green cotton candy!
And I'm pretty sure the fish think it's for their entertainment.

Funny!
lau.gif

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have found a new, strangely satisfying pond task. I sit and relax, then spot a long trail of string algae. I have my trusty, skinny bamboo stick next to me, so I stick it in there (it's long enough to reach wherever and thin enough to be delicate with) and twirl it up to pull it out. It's like stinky green cotton candy!
Isn't it? For their entertainment, I mean....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
can uou package your string algea and mail it to me. I'l pay a healthy fee . I need it to seed the stream to combat the pea soup thats developed in the pond. Never thought i would miss string algea(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@j.w - she's too cool for algae. ;)

I used to toss the string algae in my garden - great compostable material! Our first year we could pull big wads of it up froth bottom of the pond. Then I would have to squeeze through it to make sure there were no snails caught up in it before I tossed it. Entertaining is right! We rarely see any anymore - occasionally on the waterfall, but not enough to worry about... or swirl on a stick!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Mmathis you just search online for them, put in animations in the search bar and sites come up where you can rt click on them and choose save as and put them either in photo bucket or in a file on you computer. Easy!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Mmathis you just search online for them, put in animations in the search bar and sites come up where you can rt click on them and choose save as and put them either in photo bucket or in a file on you computer. Easy!
Hmmmm..... Wonder if they are Apple-supported. Will have to check it out. Still trying to figure out how to do GIF's.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
can uou package your string algea and mail it to me. I'l pay a healthy fee . I need it to seed the stream to combat the pea soup thats developed in the pond. Never thought i would miss string algea(y)
Gordo, do you seriously want me to mail you a baggie of algae? I'd be happy to, once mine regenerates -- which won't be long. Do you think two day mail would be fast enough for it to survive? (Assuming you were really serious!)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If your pond doesn't already have string algae, chances are that any you put in there will die off.
The spores for algae are pretty much omni present. If the conditions are right, algae will grow. It's not the end of the world.:)
I tried adding string algae to my pond and nothing grew from it. Either the fish ate it or conditions were not right for it to grow.

Ask a Question