Ponds made of Concrete Blocks

Reaction score
Has anyone here built their pond with just cinder blocks? If so can is it possible that i can see a photo of it? im building one 10x10x3

Thanks is there any important factors i need to know before doing so

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
From what I've read on another forum, there is a lot that goes into a good design, such as digging a trench for a concrete footer, placement of the blocks and rebar in very other block and every block going around corners. It isn't a simple as it looks, but apparently short cuts can result in it not being structurally sounds.

Reaction score
From what I've read on another forum, there is a lot that goes into a good design, such as digging a trench for a concrete footer, placement of the blocks and rebar in very other block and every block going around corners. It isn't a simple as it looks, but apparently short cuts can result in it not being structurally sounds.
Sorry im talking about an Above Ground Pond, not digging just making a simple square above ground line it up and so on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
At 3ft tall you will want a footing and you will want to rebar the cores of the block. At least around every 24" to 32" at the minimum. I also would personally use bond beam blocks around the entire top and rebar and fill solid.
8_Bond_Beam.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There's two factors needed to be considered when making an above ground raised pond, the weight of water that pushes outwards on the walls and the expansion of ice in the winter months, which can push walls apart

Regards, andy
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/
Agreed 100%. Thats why I like the bond beam around the top with the rebar around the entire top.

Reaction score
At 3ft tall you will want a footing and you will want to rebar the cores of the block. At least around every 24" to 32" at the minimum. I also would personally use bond beam blocks around the entire top and rebar and fill solid.
View attachment 72393
Im sorry i dont understand what you mean by footing? I am going to cement the Blocks together for sure i will not just stack them on top of each other.
There's two factors needed to be considered when making an above ground raised pond, the weight of water that pushes outwards on the walls and the expansion of ice in the winter months, which can push walls apart

Regards, andy
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/
The water part we might have a problem but if i cement them together would it still be a problem? Here in Texas I do not believe it ever goes below 30-40 degrees during winters.. All my life i experiece slight snow drops 2 times.. So that maybe not be a problem?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I built mine my footer was 6" thick and 18" wide with rebar in it.The first course was bond beams with 2 rows of rebar. Also I put rebar in the vertical in every other hole in the blocks. I dry stacked the blocks to over 7' using liquid nails to hold them in place. Then had a pumper come in and fill the blocks with concrete.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Sorry im talking about an Above Ground Pond, not digging just making a simple square above ground line it up and so on.
Yes, that is what I gathered from your post, but will still require footers , rebar etc. Others who have posted have more knowledge than me.

Reaction score
When I built mine my footer was 6" thick and 18" wide with rebar in it.The first course was bond beams with 2 rows of rebar. Also I put rebar in the vertical in every other hole in the blocks. I dry stacked the blocks to over 7' using liquid nails to hold them in place. Then had a pumper come in and fill the blocks with concrete.
Okay, that doesnt sound to hard, but your pumper is it connected through your blocks? Or do you just word around it.

Yes, that is what I gathered from your post, but will still require footers , rebar etc. Others who have posted have more knowledge than me.
Okay, so footers are for the bottom parts. I was starting tomorrow.

Reaction score
How much was it for you to fill in the blocks with concrete?

Reaction score
A pumper is a pump truck. Here is a video that may help

wow! THANK you !! That answers a handful! I don't plan on using concrete if just using quik-cret or liquid nails. Thank you so much robandamy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
check out jason from Florida's concrete block pond on his patio

Ask a Question