Ponds & pesticides?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Let me start out by saying I HATE spiders! I just found a dead wolf spider in my living room, 2" long body and 2" legs!
Here is my question- I have 2 above ground ponds built from 4x4s and 2x12s. I'm having a problem with finding a lot of spiders. I know they are there because of the insects the ponds attract and are therefor beneficial. However, they freak me out! Also , some of these spiders are dangerous, namely black widows! I'm finding these on my stock tank filters and on the back walls of the ponds. Would it be safe to treat the walls of the ponds and outside of filters with something like Ortho-Home Defense? I know I would probably be killing off a lot of good bugs but I have suffered from spider bites in past years (nothing serious) and would like to feel a little safer. What are your opinions and suggestions?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There is absolutely no such thing as a safe pesticide (or herbicide). These chemicals should be kept as far away from any life supporting aquatic system as possible Sorry, but there is no middle ground.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use white vinegar around the ponds for weed control but not sure if there is something for bugs. I don't want to endanger the good bugs, frogs, etc. Anybody know of something that keeps spiders away?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
There is absolutely no such thing as a safe pesticide (or herbicide). These chemicals should be kept as far away from any life supporting aquatic system as possible Sorry, but there is no middle ground.
Totally in agreement with Meyer on this so it may well be time to go back to those old victorian remedies that work so very well for our Grand Parents
Yes Grand Pops really does know more :LOL:

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't know about using essential oils either....I mean, clove oil is used to sedate and euthanize fish.

Even 'Old Home Remedies' employ some chemicals that would prove harmful to fish.
Clove Oil, that Tula pointed out, is one of these.
Insects around a point is a natural occurrence and insects are an integral part of the diet of some fish. Koi (Carp) being one of these fish.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I checked with some of the local master gardeners around here. It seems spiders taste with their feet- Who knew? They don't like citrus so Lemon Pledge or Orange Oil cleaners applied to wood or stone work deters spiders! Going to test this on one stock tank and see what happens. A light coating should not be transferable to the ponds and since on vertical surfaces should not affect frogs. If anyone has any comments on this, please let me know. I will not do this for a few days in case someone thinks of a reason this could cause harm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I totally understand dislike of spiders--hubs can't STAND them, and my father-in-law got bit by a brown recluse a few years ago and suffered nerve damage in his leg... but unfortunately I agree with the thought that any pesticide = bad pesticide when it comes to aquatic life. I wouldn't chance it. (This also explains why I do so much yard work in the landscaping by the pond--I don't use any weed killer there, so all weeds have to be pulled up by hand.)

Ask a Question