Ponds so far, more work needed

Reaction score
Converted hot tub, dwarf lotus, mainpond. Lots more sprucing up to do .

Attachments

• PONDS 001.jpg
    PONDS 001.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 356
  • PONDS 004.jpg
    PONDS 004.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 374
  • PONDS 009.jpg
    PONDS 009.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 319
Reaction score
Thanks Pond Boy . Still don't have the filtration right on the hot tub pond , DIY trickel tower.
Running a 350gph pump up about 30 inches may have to try a 600 gph.

Heres pic of some fish in larger pond .

Attachments

• PONDS 008.jpg
    PONDS 008.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 329

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Looks like it's all running good, good clear water and the fish and plants look very happy. Where is the dwarf lotus? I don't see a lotus at all in any of your pics.

Reaction score
Its the center picture in the top 3. Yes it looks like a lilly to me too, don't know why they call it a lotus . Google " dwarf cambodian lotus " and you get pictures of the same plant.Still looks like a lilly though .

Reaction score
stroppy said:
very nice ponds :0) lilies are looking good ...and whats your secret no Algae ???? :)

Luck I guess. We'll see what happens as the fish get bigger and the days hotter, 91 right now.That and a large skippy style biofilter .110 gal tub for 820 gal pond , about 75 gal of which is filter. Plus right amount of sun , not full sun all day , and the lillys provide further shade. I am working on a pea gravel container bog to add to the system .

It may be the water I pumped out of the real pond on the property .Its real clear. Right now its sort of a real big biofilter . Nothing bigger than a mosquito fish or yucatan sailfin mollie in it right now and lots of under water plants and a few turtles . 2 years ago an unusaly long cold spell killed off about 300 tilapia . The following summer there was a monsterous alge bloom followed by an rampent plant growth that chocked out every thing else , bass ,bluegills ect . Must have been all the nutrients from the tilapia. It finaly stabilized now that there's nothing but minnows in it .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
View Details White Snowflakes 3/$18 (Nymphoides cristata)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
White Snowflake (Nymphoides crista) This is a group of pond plants that should enjoy more popularity than it does. Nymphoides species may be planted along the margins of ponds or streams in about 12" of water, or they... | 110030

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is actually what you have and it's not a lotus. However, those are sometimes not easy to grow either. They prefer filtered light with some afternoon direct sunlight. I can't get mine to bloom at all, I have the yellow variety and the white, While looking up the name I also found that there is a new Orange variety also. that would be cool if i could only get flowers, Right now just bunches and bunches of leaves.

Reaction score
Thanks for the positive ID fishin. I did not buy buy them , my son found large patches of them in a local canal he fishes.Had them in a bucket of water for 3 days untill I planted them and they were blooming the whole time . Mine get full sun mid morning to early afternoon , filtered sun from then on . Planted 2 to 8 inches deep in pots with Scotts all organic soil .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Pond Boy said:
Cool idea looks nice...

opps oh well thanked ya by mistake but thanks lol

I just planted some snowflakes, jupiter, they are growing like crazy, will see if they get blooms.

Love your set up.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
View Details White Snowflakes 3/$18 (Nymphoides cristata)
White Snowflake (Nymphoides crista) This is a group of pond plants that should enjoy more popularity than it does. Nymphoides species may be planted along the margins of ponds or streams in about 12" of water, or they... | 110030

This is actually what you have and it's not a lotus. However, those are sometimes not easy to grow either. They prefer filtered light with some afternoon direct sunlight. I can't get mine to bloom at all, I have the yellow variety and the white, While looking up the name I also found that there is a new Orange variety also. that would be cool if i could only get flowers, Right now just bunches and bunches of leaves.

Yes , thats what it is . University of Florida Center for Aquatic and Invasive Plants map shows it as present it the wild in my area .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great pond pics and great way to recycle .Jets on bubbly fish lol may inhance the mood for spawning:lol::lol::yikesu::fish:

Ask a Question