ponds

Reaction score
Hello, My name is Ronnie, I am new at forums and this is my first post. fishin4cars recommended this site to me. resently I have a small 125 gallon pond that I'm using to house a few of my Goldfish in. I recently moved and had to take down my 3600 gallon Koi pond and getting settled in my new home. I will be rebuilding and look forward to posting pics of the build and and seeing new ideas. Larkin is a long time friend of mine and always a great help. Look forward to seeing others ponds and builds and any input and advice would be greatly appreciated.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
:regular_waving_emotWelcome aboard, Dragonmaster!:regular_waving_emot I'll try and post some pics of the old koi pond here for you. I still have them on my computer. Glad you joined the group, Lots of nice folks here that are great in helping and have good advice to give.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome, glad you joined!

another-fish-welcome.gif

Now the fun begins, the dig, the build, the questions, the fish.....................lol

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Here are are a few pics of Dragons pond before the move.

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 179
  • 100_2026.jpg
    100_2026.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 182

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well he doesn't need our help, lol, beautiful clear water and what a cute doggie!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very nice pond and sweet little pup............love those ears :cool:
Must have been hard to leave that pond behind..........oh well, onward and upward, now lets get on w/ the rebuild :lol:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I tell you Addy, Ronnie is on a very limited budget. We made a skimmer box, had the primary pump have a valve that could be opened to sweep the bottom, added a 35 wt UV light and a small Bio filter with a back flush. Also in the skimmer box we added 50# of Lava rock and about 10 gallons of Bio-balls left over from my old reef tank. He had a little trouble keeping the water clear until we added the UV light, after that the pond went crystal clear and the fish grew and reproduced. Total cost to build that pond was under $750! Of course plants were donated by you know who, some of the filtering was donated, and some of the fish were mine and some bought at very small size.
Was hard taking it all back down after only being up and running for a little over a year. But we both learned a lot from the project and the next build is being discussed and planned now. I did talk him into saving up and getting a Skimmer and we are planning on adding a 55 gallon Bio filter, and very possibly a Vortex pre-filter if I can do just a weee bit more persuasion. He's also talking about a Bog style plant pond that will spill over into the primary pond, going to show him your bog and see if that's what he has in mind.He and his wife are coming down for the weekend, I think once he see's how easy the filter is to clean and I show him the advantage of a vortex and how cheap it would be to build, he'll add one on the next build. :cool:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well for a "cheap" pond it looks great! And if he wants a bog he is my friend lol. jk
(mine is clear without uv lol) And he has your great help!
I do like skimmers, we still don't have ours hooked up yet, it is in and plumbed, but have not cut the liner for the weir. Going to have it done before the leaves start dropping. Must be the air flow or something most stuff misses the pond, there are three large trees near it, except those maple seeds, they went everywhere. Pulling baby maples out of the bog all of the time.

Ask a Question