Pondtastic

Reaction score
Hi all,
I expanded my pond this season so I've now got 2 split-level, connecting ponds....about 1500 gallons all together. I put the lower pond in about 4 years ago and since I live in AZ and the pond gets full sun, I've battled since the begining to get clear water. I beefed up my pump situation (3500 GPH), built a skimmer out of a trash can and made a Skippy out of a 150 gal stock tank so fingers crossed. I had to restock some plants this spring so I've only got about 20% of the surface covered right now.
I've got comets and minnows and they feed on their own so too much fish food isn't an issue. Below are my plants, anyone have any advice to clear this sucker up?
Anacharis
Lilies
Parrots Feather
Primrose Creeper
Hyacinth
Water Lettuce
Pennywort
Catail
Sweet Flag
Water Clover
Umbrella Grass
Duckweed (just a little here and there)

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Have you tested the water? What is the nitrate level ? Ammonia and nitrite too?

Algae needs a food source to grow. Even in full sun if there is no food it will not thrive.

HTH

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

flowerwelcomeWHT.gif

What kind of algae, the string or the green water algae? The skippy should really help. Others use a uv clarifier. My bog keeps my pond algae free, pea gravel and plants

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

Mine took me two months to get crystal clear water this year, usually it only takes a month. It really made a difference once all the plants took off. I have about 60% of the pond surface covered. It may just take your filter and pond some time to cycle.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
welcome aboard!:lol: Once a pond has good established plant growth of say 50% or more of the water surface and other plants like you have in the water column and marginals then the water should clear. Now if there is still a lot of build up on the bottom of the pond it's a good idea to get as much out either by netting or by vacumning off the bottom this will help the plants catch up to the amount of waste being released in the pond, If there is a good bit on the bottom it can take a lot longer for the pond to balance.

Reaction score
Thanks all for the info. I know the bio process just takes time and it's only been up and running every day for about 3-4 weeks so, more than likely, it's just patience on my part. I'd be much further ahead but I did a lot of goofing around on getting the plumbing just right in the beginning so for the first 2 months of operation, the filter would be out of action here and there. Thanks again, great pond-talkin' with you all!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissabloomsnbubbles

Latest Threads