Pool filter conversion

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread and it was prob the wrong section so I am posting it here in hopes that I can get an answer.

Hi all its that time of year again.
I am thinking of taking the sand out of Hayward pool sand filter I got for free and filling it with bio balls, I have a ton left over from a diff project. I want it to be additional bio filtration not really using it for mechanical filtration. I an using a submersible pump and going to make a pre filter box to put the pump in to avoid too many large solids from getting to the Hayward but am trying to find out if the Hayward will make a good bio filter with bio balls. I also have a UV filter and a Bio falls for the water fall the Hayward will be used for the 15ft stream. I also use quilt batting in the stream to collect my fines too. My current filter box for the stream is too big and awkward for the space that it is in. I am going to use a 3500 gph pump to supply the Hayward. Any advice on pitfalls that I may encounter or a better way of setting up the Hayward would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance lady's and gents

Reaction score
The slits in the laterals can be enlarged to lessen the head put on your pump. They're very thin. Thin enough to keep sand from passing?.. Here's my conversion thread with a doughboy filter.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/converting-a-pool-sand-filter-to-bead-filter.16450/
Awesome thanks for the info and the link that's exactly what I want to do. How did it work for you as a bio filter? I am thinking of using a mesh bag with quilt batting and the pump in it as the pre filter or possibly build something out of a milk crate sort of a box filter for the pump. does that sound like it would work?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I use prefilters.. DIY. Water is pulled thru filter pad.then polyfill (batting) then 2 layers of eggcrate foam. The cleaner you send the water thru the filter the more efficient the bio action.

Ask a Question