Pool Liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Some liners for swimming pools have a chem in them that retards alge.
Not so good for ponds.

Reaction score
I C, I'll do a lil investigating on it and maby get a pic for ya all i dont wana go through all the work just to half to redo it just to save $200 bucks on a liner

Reaction score
it's gonna look like crap when you get even just a little debris, waste, etc. You'll see the little spots and it will make you crazy.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I thought we ponderer's were all crazy anyway...............I guess it will just make him crazier to see those awful spots.............I'd go w/ the black stuff myself :alieneyesa:

Reaction score
j.w said:
I thought we ponderer's were all crazy anyway...............I guess it will just make him crazier to see those awful spots.............I'd go w/ the black stuff myself :alieneyesa:

You got it! BLACK HIDES ALL!

Reaction score
Personally, I don't think it matters. I don't know what kind of temp zone you live in, but we used a pool liner for ours, and it's a blue pattern at that, and we didn't have a lot of money, so we just went for it. It's been up for over a year now, and has done just fine. And algea has had NO problem growing on mine. So when it's all said and done, you can't really see the color of the liner once it's established unless you want a crystal clear pond with no debris on the bottom, which is hard to come by.

Reaction score
Okay, sorry. I guess I have just never seen anyone's pond that didn't have a piece of dirt in it. Like we were talking about before, I have NO luck with filters.

Reaction score
LOL! No pond has zero debris in it, but the trouble is if you use pool liner, you see EVERYTHING. There's a reason that a pond liner is black.

I have a backyard pool with a blue background, and every leaf, every twig, every fly that drops in can be seen VERY clearly. So, we get out out our pool vac, our net, and go through all the nonsense to get every speck. If my pond had a blue background I think I'd kill myself! LOL!

If you had a great filter, and a great pump you'd see a mongo difference. Trust me.

We need to get you up and running with a good situation to help you. I just think you selected a filter model that doesn't work. Gravel in a filter set up as you've got yours is just plumb bad. There are wonderful sand and gravel DIY filters that work like no one's business, because the sand acts as a fines filtration to get rid of all that little suspended crap you are seeing. They are not easy to clean and require an air blower to blow all the gunk outta the gravel. The blower is not cheap either, it costs $250. But when you blow out the thing weekly, you do end up with water that is like polished glass.

Your filter design is sort of like that one, but lacks the sand and the blower. So, you're in a no win situation with it. If you were willing to replumb that very barrel, we could help you do it.

Ask a Question