sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
this has been asked and it is not advised .Even ponddigger did a video on you tube

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Sand filters can and do work very good. Once properly converted to bead filter. As the pond digger stated in the video sissy posted the BIG difference is in the laterals with their tiny slots. Slots small enough to keep sand from passing. Once you drill larger holes or enlarge the slots they preform excellent. I have one. Its been running for 8 months and has never needed or been backwashed. Bio balls, k1, or another kaldness type media work great. I use virgin polyethylene beads in mine... Some folks fill them with just lava rock or peagravel. Sending mechanically clean water is the biggest thing you can do to make and keep any bio filter more efficient, not just bead filters.
use prefilters and make the slots as large as you can without allowing media to slip thru...
as you can see..my backwash outlet is even closed off... don't foresee needing it for a long time.
010.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question