Pool Skimmer Installation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
I've been doing a lot of research designing my first pond. I am a long time fish keeper so I am relying on my knowledge of aquariums for the basis of my pond. I know there are lots of different things, but I do my research, so don't worry.

I have seen several people say they use pool skimmers instead of pond skimmers. The cost variance is a big motivator to do so. I was thinking about a DIY skimmer, but I'm not sure how that would work out trying to attach it to the liner...so I am now contemplating the use of a pool skimmer. My concern is, pond skimmers have flat bottoms with bulk head fittings on the side/back so you can submerge your pump and return the water. I've noticed pool skimmers have the outlet on the bottom and no room for a submersible pump....how are pool skimmers supported for pond installations if they can't sit flat on soil? In addition to that, has anyone used a submersible pump with a pool skimmer? I was thinking about attaching the hose from the bottom of the pool skimmer to the side of a square bucket and putting the pump in there. Assuming I get the water levels correct, the water pressure should equalize and feed into the square bucket.

I'm looking for help on a few things here 1) how can I support the pool skimmer if the outlet is on the bottom? 2) how have people attached their DIY skimmers to the liner? 3) and feedback regarding my proposed pool skimmer/return bucket idea. This is just a concept, I have a feeling I'll take an alternative route once I figure one out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They really like you to introduce yourself first.

Welcome to our group. Also helps to know what kind of fish, the size of the pond where you live etc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
Sorry, I wasn't aware of the introductory etiquette. I like to get to the point. :surfing: I have posted my intro.

As for details...I live in South Texas. I'm not set on the type of fish I can stock, although I do know what type of fish I'd like to stock. Originally, as with most ponds, I wanted to go with Koi, and I still may. However, if it's possible, I'd really like to put a few bass in my pond, maybe a cat. Something unique and of high interest to me. The pond should be roughly 9'x7' and 24-30" deep. It will be irregular, not a rectangle. I plan to implement a skimmer and a waterfall. Still contemplating what I will do for bio. I realize the pond size could inhibit me from being able to properly keep bass so I'm looking for advice on that since it's a hard thing to google; you wind up with a lot of fishing results.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
rrasco said:
...how are pool skimmers supported for pond installations if they can't sit flat on soil? In addition to that, has anyone used a submersible pump with a pool skimmer? I was thinking about attaching the hose from the bottom of the pool skimmer to the side of a square bucket and putting the pump in there. Assuming I get the water levels correct, the water pressure should equalize and feed into the square bucket.

I'm looking for help on a few things here 1) how can I support the pool skimmer if the outlet is on the bottom? 2) how have people attached their DIY skimmers to the liner? 3) and feedback regarding my proposed pool skimmer/return bucket idea. This is just a concept, I have a feeling I'll take an alternative route once I figure one out.

We put in a pool skimmer, hayward with a large weir and large leaf basket. My husband build a 2x4 frame and attached the skimmer to it. The legs of the frame are two feet in the ground it does not move at all. It is a soon to do project to cut the liner, with the gasket that came with it and some additional goop there won't be any leaking issues.

We put the plumbing lines into the bottom of the skimmer, attached the skimmer to the frame and buried most of the skimmer and the plumbing lines. We do freeze here so we wanted those lines deep. I will be pushing the water out of the skimmer during the winter months. Two different ways under consideration...........one black construction plastic bag, fill with expanding foam two.........bubble wrap stuffed in tight. This way I will not have to worry about the skimmer cracking with the freezing ice.

We use an external pump not a submersible.

your bucket idea might work if you can make sure your flow is fast enough through the skimmer to compensate for the draw of the pump.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I picked up a new cheap pool skimmer for $20 shipped off fee-bay. Painted it flat black and burried it in the groud. I cut a square section at the top of the liner to attach it. It works awesome.

Reaction score
rrasco, I'm not a skimmer expert, but my personal expierence is that a pool skimmer is not really a good alternative compared to a well built pond skimmer such as the Savio. It's my belief that when one is completely done jury rigging a pool skimmer the frustration and the finished result will be dissapointing.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Pondmaster said:
rrasco, I'm not a skimmer expert, but my personal expierence is that a pool skimmer is not really a good alternative compared to a well built pond skimmer such as the Savio. It's my belief that when one is completely done jury rigging a pool skimmer the frustration and the finished result will be dissapointing.

The only drawback I can see with mine is the plastic will not last as long as the pond made ones.(dIfferent plastic) Plumbing it was fairly simple with no rigging, just pvc fittings where needed and piped in to the jandy valve. If you mean the skimmers with all the bio/mech stuff built into them then yes that would be a pain. I do believe this was a great place to save $ and still have a very functioning unit.
Here is one very similar to the one I bought 4 years ago for 20.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Above-Groun...632?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b4d7a438
I was just checking on fee-bay and they have some starting at .99 used.

I will add though that if you have large debris-6" or larger- this might not be the best option.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
Of course it would be easier to buy a pond skimmer, but they are 10x+ more expensive...and most of them still need a pump? Plus, what's the fun in that?

Those hayward's and the likes are what I was looking at. Cost was the major reason for consideration. I keep going back and looking at production pond skimmers and I just don't see why they command such a price, especially when it looks like most of them don't provide much more than the housing, basket, face plate, and weir. I'm still considering a DIY, but why build a skimmer when I can buy one for $25~ and add bio inline somewhere.

addy1, the 2x4 frame was really the only thing I could think of to support the pool skimmers. I wouldn't bury mine though, so it's accessible. It does freeze here, but not extremes.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Here is my pool skimmer that I got four years ago. It wasn't hooked up for two of those.
I need to repaint it.

Attachments

• P6240015 (Custom).JPG
    P6240015 (Custom).JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 671
  • P6240016 (Custom).JPG
    P6240016 (Custom).JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 737
  • P6240017 (Custom).JPG
    P6240017 (Custom).JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 717
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
I'm assuming you're also using an external pump? Did you use silicone to attach it to the liner?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
rrasco said:
I'm assuming you're also using an external pump? Did you use silicone to attach it to the liner?

Yes external pump. No silicone just extra liner made gaskets that sandwich the liner. No leaks. I guess you could silicone it for added protection. It came with a gasket but while I had it unhooked it sat in the sun and the gasket rotted. Florida summers are bruttal.

Here is my temporary pump setup.

Attachments

• P6240014 (Custom).JPG
    P6240014 (Custom).JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 597
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
Awesome. I would prefer not to silicone it if I didn't have to. Still may though for added insurance. What's the flow rate on your pump? Trying to figure out what type of flow the skimmer can handle. That would be one of the benefits of a pond skimmer, they specify the flow rates, unlike pool stuff...skimmers, pumps, etc.

Tell me about brutal summers. I live in South Texas, I know ALL about them.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I have a Jandy Valve installed on mine. I keep it 50/50 with the BD. Pump is rated at 4200gph advertised and I am pulling it up @5'. So may uneducated guess would be @3500? or 1750 from each. bd/skm There is no way this skimmer could go full blast without the pond maxed out to the top of the skimmer line. It will pull two much water and will suck air once the box gets empty some. It works great to get out the florida live oak leaves which are 1"x3" max. and anything else.

Attachments

• P6240035 (Custom).JPG
    P6240035 (Custom).JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 489

Ask a Question