Pool Skimmer Installation

Reaction score
the downflow of your skimmer will depend on the size of the outlet and the pipe. 1" ID pipe GRAVITY flows 2220GPH at standard pressure (20-100PSI). 1.25" GRAVITY flows at 3750GPH. 2" GRAVITY flows at 7650GPH. When you attach a pump, you can increase that significantly. 1" will go 3500, 1.5" will go 7650 and 2" will go 12000. When you get into the bigger diameter, vortex action is increased and the flow goes up a LOT. For example, 4" will gravity flow at 28,000GPH and can be pumped at a max of 42,000GPH. These are standard plumbing numbers and can be found (for the most part) in the plumbing code books for your state.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
I've looked up the flow rates for my aquarium plumbing, should have done the same here. I guess it's safe to say it would handle 1200-1800GPH with 1.25-1.5" outlet. I guess it's up to deciding on a pump now. I was looking at submersible, but now I need an external to work with these skimmers. Any suggestions? Something wallet friendly if possible..

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I personally dont like the submersable pumps. I just purchased a Sequence750 series. Get something low watts and save $$$$$ down the road on your power bill.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
Do external pumps run hot at all? Summers are 100+ here in Texas. I'm sure they are designed with heat sinks, etc, but just curious from someone experienced with them.

Reaction score
I'm in SW OK and the ES3500 that I bought from Birdman seems to be working fine. Not having any of the trouble that I've had with any other pumps. We've only had 3 days since June 1 that have been below 100 degrees. Plus at 143 watts rated (my power angel says it's pulling 128), it's CHEAP to run. at 1/15hp and 143 watts, the cost to run it will be about $10.30 per month.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a sequence 7200 that I have had for 6 years now running 24/7 9 months out of the year, never once had a problem. Minimal expense on electricity too. My runs warm but I have it in a pump house that sits mostly in full sun and have never had it shut down due to over heating. The first pic is my pump in the house and the second one is an old pic of my pump house. There is a 8x12 vent on the left side of it and the roof has about an 3/4" gap to allow for air flow.

Attachments

• P1020238.JPG
    P1020238.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 320
  • DSC00925.JPG
    DSC00925.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 355
Reaction score
Sequence are also a very good choice. RRASCO, you'll find that buying one through one of the guys (dealers) on the forum is a bit cheaper than online also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
I was already looking at the sequence pumps based on the suggestions in other posts I read here in the recent days. To be honest though, I would think I could get a decent pump for less than $300. And yes, I am frugal. :toothy12:

I looked at the ES pumps you suggest computer guy, found a link to birdman's site via google and they are more reasonably priced IMO. This pond is only supposed to be 800~ gallons, so I don't need anything crazy flow. I was thinking 1200-1800GPH. So the ES1500 or ES2500 would be an adequate choice?

BTW...Why are recommended turnover rates for ponds so much lower than aquariums? I'm used to aiming for 5-10x turnover for my tanks while I see ponds seem to be 1-2x turnover as the standard? Is this because mechanical filtration is not as big an issue with ponds since you're not staring through glass at the water?

Reaction score
You want a minimum of 1-2x per hour unless you have very heavy bio-filtration. The heavier the bio, the less you have to turn over your water. There's a link on the forum somewhere of a guy with an 11,000 pool conversion who was running his entire system on a 1200GPH pump. His water was crystal clear but plant load was insane.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b/9a
Country
United States
Well ya, bio filtration doesn't require much turnover, but the higher your turnover the better mechanical you'll get. Higher turnover is really only good for increasing mechanical, which is why I was assuming it's not that big of a deal when you can't see directly into the side of the pond.

I do plan on building a waterfall though, so I think having enough flow for that will be my real key.

Reaction score
I run a modified 100 gallon Skippy tank with waterfall, a 15' river, and a direct return line into my pond off of a ES3500 and my water is clear as a bell. If I drop a brown pebble into the bottom of the pond, you can see it. I should probably be doing a little more frequent water changes because of our heat, but my fish seem very healthy and I have babies in the pond (which are a lot more fragile).

Ask a Question