Poor betta

Reaction score
My poor betta is not looking good. I don't know if its old age or something else. He's not swimming very much (well not at all other than to get food) and just sort of gets in a spot that he won't be washed around or bothered by the other fish. He seems like he's got a bend in his spine

ow.
Betta.jpg

Any thoughts? He's maybe 2 years old. Can't really remember when I got him.

Reaction score
I tested for ammonia - not detected. Ph about 7.5/8 But I didn't test for anything else. I will though.

This tank is really well balanced, lots of plants and everything is doing well, besides this fish.

Do you think nitrates/nitrites would do this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. Bent spine is one result of nitrate poisoning. It's a possibility.
Could well be but it could also be as a result of a vitamin deficency either way I dont think he has much longer to live , Priscilla your saying he likes to get to a spot where he doesnt get washed around.
Siamese fighters like a still surface area he is a labyrinth fish who lives on a diet of crustations insects and dried foods and is best kept in a species tank he has an auxilary breathing organ which means he can be kept in relitively small aquariums males shouldnt be kept together in the same tank as they will fight and he should be kept with only two females
Provide plenty of plants for the females to hide in when not mating and a still surface area for a bubble nest to be made when breeding, they create a bubble nest lay their eggs then blow into the nest from bellow to keep the nest oxigenated . .
He should have a tank temperature of around about 26-28c, plus have a ready supply of snails to eat .
I dont think your going to turn this guy around sadly
If you go to their country of origin you'll find they are kept in jam jars and they are bred for fighting each other in matches where money is betted on the outcome of the fight when they are put togther.

Dave

Reaction score
They are long flowy and a bit shredded looking at the ends, but that's just how they are.

I'm beginning to wonder if its not a diet problem now. There are tons of baby snails in that tank, but I don't think he eats them. He was a gift, not a purchase and I won't get getting one again.

I feel so bad looking at him every day, and I can't help him. Almost wonder if I should take him out of the tank and start feeding him something different, see if it helps bring him back.

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So sorry for your betta, he's beautiful.

I have one female in my nature pond, for her to eat the mosquitoes larvae, and she's been doing great with that and no larvae to be seen. My Nature pond has no pump or filter (only about 12 gallons) just lots of plants, snails, (hopefully) frog, and other bugs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I agree with John, do not rule out age. They tend to only live 3-5 years depending on care. If bought from a petstore then most likely already a year old.

Ask a Question