popeye ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have three wakins they have maybe popeye?
their eyes are not protruding like the ones on the internet
they look as though they have a clear bubble on each eye.
Looking down on them, sounds silly it looks like a goldfish round bowl has been stuck on each eye
one looks as though the bubble has become a bit opaque.
Have isolated these, as I dont want this to spread
one fish has one good eye one bubble
help
thankyou

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry you are having problems with your fish. Can you post pictures of what you are seeing? Also, your water parameters using liquid test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and KH would be helpful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am not really sure what you're describing. It sounds almost like there are blisters on top of the eyes, or that the eyes are bulging out like fish bowls. Or both.

Popeye can be a sign of infection in the eyes, or it can be a sign of fluid build-up internally (possibly from internal infection).

I've also had some fish that just had normally bulgy eyes.

The first thing to do is check your water quality. Make sure you're keeping the water that the isolated fish are in very clean. If there's no filter, you'll need to do daily water changes (or even multiple water changes a day, depending on the water volume of the isolation tank).

If you can treat the isolated tank with aquarium/pond salt, consider doing that. It can help with infection, or regulating internal fluid build-up in the fish.

Until we have more information, including clear photos of the sick fish, there's not much I can recommend.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thankyou all
will try to send pictures tomorrow
as for water, I must confess' have had fish outside for 20yrs or more
outside no filtration, dont touch them, Some are really old, I have never checked water
would not know how to, they breed, these are are 2 year old babies, they are reasonably fat
been changing their water every 3 days, they were with their siblings, but they are well

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1594143244964.gif
@bibby

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What size pond or container do you have them in...that you are changing the water every 3 days?

How many fish are in this pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thankyou to you all out there
best way to describe this, if you imagine a celestial goldfish, the eyes are above the bubble.
These have bubble over eyes, have given up changing water every 3 days, no difference
fish are in at present 1/2 filled 4ft aquarium, outside, summer here uk. They are isolated. there are 3 altogether
2 with both eyes one with one eye bubble, they eating gaining weight, If this were to go I would put them back with their siblings who are ok, they are 2 yrs old, Wakins these have not turned colour, but thats life.
Bibby

Attachments

• ytrry 023.jpg
    ytrry 023.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 101
  • ytrry 026.jpg
    ytrry 026.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 107

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@bibby I had a fish a few years ago, his name was Larry. He was a big Watonai. I don’t recall all of the details, but he had something weird going on with his eyes. I never found out WHAT was wrong with him, but everything pointed toward some type of infection, possibly systemic. He seemed “normal” in every way except that his eyes looked odd, and he acted like he couldn’t see. I removed him from the pond and kept him inside as an aquarium fish. He thrived and his eyes seemed to improve, so I eventually returned him to the pond. Then, one day, I didn’t see him any more.

I found a pic of Larry. It does look like the same problem your fish are having. Wish I could give you an answer....
DB687CE0-B4CC-4625-B90E-6F1C770AC11E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
YES that is the same
I have just give them some mosquito larva
they chased them, they are not blind, they are fat, I think I will have to bring them in winter
as a 4ft outside may not be a good idea, I was hoping I could dose them up and eradicate,
Sorry to hear of Larry he is much nicer than my miserable bronze wakins
thankyou for your help
bibby

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is it possible they have a bubble eye mutation? Don’t believe it is popeye as that is an infection behind the eye causing the entire eye to bulge out.
Good point! In my Watonai, the condition seemed to come on, more as if it was an affliction rather than a mutation. I also recall that his eyes (behind the bubble) were cloudy. This, too, made me think, an illness. Most things I read said it was due to a systematic infection, and/or water quality issues.

@bibby Did this just suddenly appear, or were they always like that?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really dont know about mutation
I have their parents no problems, and about 20 or so brothers and sisters no probs.
These were kept separately about 11 together as I didnt want them ate over winter.
as i caught them over the weeks, they were put in with the rest. these I had not caught yet ,I fed them and noticed one had a problem, so emptied fast.
I put the healthy ones in a large isolating container and separated these 3 as far as I know
they are good

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As they were over a year, I bring babies inside to over winter, these were 18months
so they over wintered outside 11 separatly. I ignore them dont feed as it was cold, they go deep.
They all made it through, It was only when I decided to add them to the main lot, over days / weeks.
because I catch when they feed, I introduced them when captured, to the rest. Then I found one with this problem.
I had 6 left, to catch 3 ok, they still are, and these 3, not sure how long they have had it, never had it last autumn.
Emptied water, nothing nasty, they were partially shaded by a bush, they had plant, there were plenty of room
unless something was dropped by bird or insect, no idea.
They seem fine they are not blind they are getting fat, I just dont want this to spread to others

Ask a Question