Population??

Reaction score
So now that my pond is built and once it cycles, how many Koi can I put in there comfortably? Volume is 1000 gallons.

Reaction score
what is the surface area? according to rules, you should only have 3 koi only...you would be better off getting goldfish..depending on surface area and type of koi will be your determining factor

doug

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have 10 adult Koi in my 650 gallon pond. One is 22" long. I also have about 50 ea 4" Koi in the same pond. the key is to have good filtration. I have a 55 gallon bio filter that runs 24/7 through a 4' tall cascading waterfall. Additionally, I run my 3800 gallon pump several hours a week through my other water fall which has a large particle filter in it.
My pond is only 18" deep, contrary to all the experts opinion, it works just fine. I have had ponds for over 40 years and never had a problem. just my 2 cents:twocents:

Reaction score
anything can work or make work with the right approach....typicaly with a moderate filter a few hundred gallons per adult koi.

now adult meaning 20-30 inches and weighing in heavily....so you can tweek based off certain numbers....with more stock and less filtration you will be running into disease and stunting more often.

lets say you have 1000gallons thats 2-3 adult koi or 20-30 juvenile koi...

doug

Reaction score
So Dr dave, You say you have 10 adult and 50 juveniles in 650 gallons. Won't the the 50 4" ones grow up to be big adults?? Or are there certain kinds of Koi that don't get to big?? I certainly was hoping to put more than 3 Koi in my 1000 gallon pond. I obviously don't want to overstock either.:icon_frown:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
hockeyref i have 12 koi in my top pond 1230 gal they range from 10 to 13" with no problems at all . you got a good set up get what you want

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I inherited 176 Koi from a friend and between my 650 gallon pond, a tank and a tub, I am managing them until I get homes for nearly all the small ones. I am going to keep a few smaller ones and find homes for a few of the large ones. I eventually want a mix of all sizes with no more than 6 adults over 14".
I plan on selling the young since I know they will spawn and steps are being taken to set that up. That's why I like your set up and have asked so many questions.

Where I work, there are at least 20 pond owners in my building alone. Go figure, we are in the gas turbine business... I hope to offer inexpensive Koi to anyone who will care for them.

Ask a Question