Porch project

Reaction score
We love our porch and it will overlook the pond. The problem is, so do our dogs. They keep the cushions dirty on the porch swing to the point that we put them on the floor just for them. I'm adding 12X14 additional feet of porch with a gate to keep them on their side so we can enjoy our side. I work so far away that I spend every other night in a travel trailer near my job and it's comforting to know that several hundred pounds of Rottweiler sleep on my front porch to protect my wife and home while I'm gone.

I've got the 4X4 posts cemented in and the joists done on a part of it. I started laying the decking yesterday and then rained out. I am taking pictures but my camera is at home. I'll wire it and plumb in water as there will be a refrigerator, ice maker, stereo and TV out there eventually. We have an outdoor propane fireplace and a few heaters so it will be nice when it's done. Pictures to come.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did not set my 6x6's in cement i used the the metal plate on the bottom and lift and bolted it to cement and that way the posts do not wick moisture up into them .Post are not treated as good these days and have a tendency to twist and warp and i treated the bottom of my 6x6's with extra protection .It is green and seals the bottom up .Old stuff had carcenogen in them

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sounds great bullfrog! Dogs gotta have their comfort space also don't ya know? Will enjoy seeing your pix as you do your building. Are you still gonna incorporate a pond in the deck? If so how big ya planning on doing it and what kind of fish? I know you will really enjoy all that you are adding to your deck and can picture you sitting out there in the warm Texas air strumming your guitar and sipping your Rum and Seven w/ your lady by your side?

Reaction score
It's a dilemma JW as where I'm adding on, there is a tree between us and the well house. I was going to redo the well house into an old mill with a waterwheel and still may do that. We have a fire out there most nights and with the tree right there, digging is out. The only way to have a pond there would be to elevate it. We have to do something as the dogs dig and dig, they all love their own "recliner" so something has to be done, it's ugly and a tripping hazard.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just put on your thinking cap and you'll figure it all out Bullfrog.............you always come up w/ some kind of a plan for what you are trying to do. Remember when you were trying to figure out how to move the heavy porch?
What's wrong w/ an elevated pond?

Reaction score
Got some coming, tomorrow is Sunday so I'm off. I began decking the 8X12 foot section and ran out of screws so I started assembling my new BBQ pit. After church tomorrow I'll get more decking and screws. The 8X6 foot section has the posts dug so I'll cement them and tie them in with side joists. I only have off Thursday and Sunday which makes it difficult with the rain.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok good on getting this project going and we will be waiting for the pix Bullfrog. Hope you get some good weather on your days off so you can get busy! It's trying to snow here right now off and on............yippee!!!

Reaction score
OK, not a lot to look at as I ran out of decking screws and began assembling my new huge BBQ pit. I have deck boards on it now but my home PC keeps crashing shockwave when I try to upload, the laptop works fine. Anyway, here is part of the frame...

puppies008.jpg

I wanted the metal brackets to hang the joists in, I don't like toe nailing. So to give the joists strength I clamped a 2X6 to the frame and screwed it to the frame from below so the joists have something to sit on like so...

puppies009.jpg

Joists done.....

puppies010.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Joist hangers and hurricane tie downs are the greatest thing they ever invented for deck building

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cool Bullfrog you're getting there! I see an empty bottle of something on your railing in the first pic.............is that your potent remedy for sore muscles after your hard days work :D

Reaction score
Cool Bullfrog you're getting there! I see an empty bottle of something on your railing in the first pic.............is that your potent remedy for sore muscles after your hard days work :D

That empty bottle is Kraken black spiced rum guaranteed to kick your boo boo into the grass. I save it for special occasions... nah, not really. It's 96 proof and stronger than my ujw.sual brew. Once I woke up and my butt hurt and I didn't know why. My wife told me she was ironing and I came in, fell down and knocked the hot iron over onto the floor. As she picked it up, I then fell into the TV almost knocking it over too. I then realized why my butt hurt, not that I'm am alcoholic or anything, they go to meetings. Oh well, I do drink at home in my own yard.

It will be back to the porch Thursday and the deck boards will be on and the other posts will be cemented so I can extend this deck another 6 feet. It's gonna be nice with the fridge, ice maker, pirate bar and an elevated pond to look at. The only problem is that an elevated deck of wood does not lend itself to a natural waterfall so it will have to be a waterwheel or something else rustic. I'll figure it out and post pictures as I go.

Pretty sharp eye there JW.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well at least you weren't branded on your butt w/ the hot iron,lol! One day I expect you will be enjoying your drinks on your new deck and will eventually find yourself swimming w/ the fishes! A water wheel would be neat. There are a couple people on here who have them and they look really nice. Take it easy now Bullfrog and post more pix as ya go on your project.

Reaction score
My problem is time, I could whip this entire thing out in a few days and then start on the pond. But I'm only off 2 days a week. That gives me time to plan the electricity to the pond for the pump and lights.

Ask a Question